Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weird issue with my LnL

I have had some issues with priming but I though I had them all figured out. I was loading along and the first 100 rds or so were perfect. Then I did a random check on the second 100 and I had high primers again. Indexing is fine. It just seems the punch was not moving high enough despite putting a ton of pressure on the lever. So I took the shellplate off and clearly the puch was not going up as high. I must have fiddled with it for 30 mins. Trying to figure it out. I even took out the primer punch and the ram just would not sink down any farther even with the punch removed. Looking at it from the side you could look into the holes from the two allen heads on the side of the ram. Then all of a sudden I pushed on it and it went "thunk" and went down another 1/8" or so. I need to figure out why this thing would hang up high like that and then all of a sudden go down the right amount. It did this with no primer punch installed. I am planning on calling Hornady on monday.

Check the primer punch for debris, metal shaving, powder residue, etc. I had some primer issues where the slide would not always go back and forth. Some 440 grit sandpaper to all the sharp edges fixed that. Keep canned air next to the press and watch for spilled powder on the shell plate making its way down into the primer slide.

Your primer punch may just have a burr that needs to come off.

Check the primer punch for debris, metal shaving, powder residue, etc. I had some primer issues where the slide would not always go back and forth. Some 440 grit sandpaper to all the sharp edges fixed that. Keep canned air next to the press and watch for spilled powder on the shell plate making its way down into the primer slide.

Your primer punch may just have a burr that needs to come off.

The press would not go any farter down (in the prime direction) with or with out the primer punch installed. So it can't be the primer punch.

I had heard of that issue but forgot about it. I wonder if debris could get someplace else causeing the ram not to go down far enough?

Lift the ram all the way up and look all around the base of your press. Once I had a small piece of pencil fall down between the base and the shell plate. The shell plate would not drop all the way down. I was pulling my hair out trying to find a mechanical problem with the press. It was a mechanical obstruction (the pencil) and an indication that I was too tired to be reloading.....So I called it miller time for a cold one and then went to bed :cheers:

I did not know they made varable height primer punches. When you get your's would you measure the old, and new and post your results. It has me wondering what I have. Only some times do I have a high primer that I so far have written off because of the case. Most of the time high primers are corrected with a hand primer.

Lets see if they actually send a taller one.

Eggs-Act-Lee.

But if it is, I wanna know. My .38 revo loads seem a bit fussy about the primer getting ALL the way down in there, giving me occasional failures to light off from a high-ish primer, and I'm not even running pussified mainsprings.