Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt M1991 A1

Pro-Pain

I apologize off the bat if this isn't the correct forum. I really didn't see anywhere else this would fit, and didn't find anything in the search...

Found a Colt M1991A1 in a local for sale forum, and was unfamiliar with them. Does anyone have any experience with them? Do they run or are they a headache to deal with? Any insight would be appreciated.

My experience with Colt is that they make decent pistols. The slide/frame fit will likely be looser than a higher end 1911 from say STI or Springfield, but they seem to run.

The only problem with them is that they are basically a GI 1911.

Most people shooting this game will run either a bomar type rear sight or some kind of a fixed (or adjustable) sight in a novak type cut. The 1991A1 has a smaller GI style cut and there aren't near as many options as you would have with a novak or bomar type cut.

The front sight is pinned on, there isn't a dovetail, so you can't just tap out the front sight and tap in a fiber optic.

You can have someone cut the slide for whatever sights you want, but it costs money.

They don't have an extended safety or ambi. They don't have an extended grip safety. You can fit safeties, you can add a drop in grip safety but the higher end guns will have a different cut on the frame so you can get a higher grip. Sometimes an undercut trigger guard for a higher grip.

You can add all this, but it costs money.

The other thing is the series 80 safety system. You can remove it (which costs money), or live with it, which is OK, but makes the trigger slightly worse and assembly after a detail strip more annoying.

In the end it just depends how picky you are and what you want out of it. If you buy it, have someone cut the slide for better sights, cut the frame for the higher grip grip safety, add an extended grip safety and then refinish it, you could have just bought a better set up to start with.

If you buy it and just shoot it and enjoy it, then OK.

A few months ago I bought a brand new springfield GI for $200, almost the same gun. I put on a dawson ice magwell, a dawson charger fixed rear into the existing dovetail, a dawson .100" staked in front, C&S trigger kit, and put on an ed brown beavertail I had lying around. I probably spent $450 in parts but I have it set up exactly how I want it. $650 out the door ain't bad for a competition gun.

BTW, that gun has been very reliable, not my smoothest 1911 but my most reliable.

It's a good gun. Used one as a backup for several years now (not needed as the primary is very reliable).

Barrel is a little thinner than the higher end models, plastic trigger wasn't great.

7k through the gun it rattles more than my primary which has probably 60-70k through it, so will definitely agree with the fit comments of the previous posters.

Not a bad gun if you can get a good deal. I cant offer any comments about the series 80 safety.

I have an Officer's ACP sized 1991-A1 that I tuned up (beavertail, trigger, hammer and sear, and better fixed sights) that I have used for my concealed carry gun for over 10 years now. I bet my life on it every time I put it on, and I've never had a problem with it. I do all my own pistolsmithing so all the tune up cost me was the cost of the parts. They are a solid gun for carry with a little tweaking, but as others have said, if you're looking for a competition gun you would probably be better off starting with a higher level gun.

As has been stated already it is bare bones gun, but it runs and not something to be afraid of. The upgrades do cost money, but it can be made into a really nice gun. The beavertail is almost a must as this pistol bites the piss out of you without one.