Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Computer software to help practise draw?

Feek

OK, Soligen's ParTimer software is up. Here is the link:

Par Timer

The one issue is that Soligen is using the VB/Windows system beep - which is totally dependent on the system configuration. Thus, on my system, I only get clunking noise that is decidedly less than 0.5 seconds long. I guess I can change that in my settings, but that's not terribly convenient. To really duplicate a timer, we need a true 0.5 start beep followed by a 0.3 end beep.

I sent my ver to Eric if he'd like to host it as well. There was an annoying bug messing the start signal length, but now it should be fixed.

It's written in java so you'll need a java runtime installed, but it doesn't matter if you run it on mac or win or linux as I do. To get it started, unzip the package to some directory and run it from command prompt in that dir:

java -jar partimer.jar

This should give you standby and start beep. Hit enter to rerun or type anything and enter to exit.

To run 1,5 sec par three times type:

java -jar partimer.jar 1,5 3

java -jar partimer.jar --help prints:

Par timer usage:

java -jar partimer.jar [--help] [par] [repeat] [-Fconfig_file_name]

[par] optional, par time in seconds e.g. 1,3

[repeat] optional, how many times the par time cycle will be run. Par time must be given.

[--help] Print this message

[-Fconfig_file_name] optinal, specify another config file e.g. "-Fmy.conf"

If you want to tweak delays or sounds, edit the config file in the directory where you extracted it all.

If there is any problems, let me know. The code is really not that complicated - I guess I should be able to troubleshoot it...

Happy training!

Eric,

I have a new version (0.2) of the Windows ParTimer that plays true beeps on Windows NT or XP. Start beep is 500 milliseconds and end beep is 300 milliseconds. The tone plays through the PC speaker, so your computer must have a pc speaker, or have the pc speaker wired into your sound card. I guess just try it and see if it works. Should work most everywhere.

Unfortunately windows 95/98/ME doesn't work the same, so on these versions you still get the default windows sound.

The tone I play is 3000 hertz. I'm not sure if this is right or not. If someone knows the proper hertz, please let me know - changing it is easy.

Dennis

Just e-mailed the new windows file to Eric & Shred for hosting. If you already installed the previous version, I recommend you go to the control panel and uninstall the old version before installing the new. Otherwise you will have to respond to a bunch of dumb messages during installation.

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...
Hope you like it :rolleyes:

Hi,

I have just been practicing with it for ten minutes and I love it !

Tomorrow we have a match with some difficult fixed-time sh!t and using your applet I can now practice for it.

Thanks for creating this !

One thing though: I used a 10-times repeat cycle and it seemed that the start of the last cycle ("standby") seems to come much quicker after the end-beep of the previous cycle than with all other cycles :unsure: ?

Anyway great stuff !

• 3 weeks later...

The latest version of the Windows ParTimer (version .3) is available at the URL below. If you have previously installed it, please uninstall before installing the new version. I made a few tweaks so that once you get started all you have to do is press the enter key to start another cycle.

ParTimer Link

• 5 months later...

The link above for ParTimer is broken, and the link below works.

This is a new verision of ParTimer, which should now play the correct tone on all computers that have stereo speakers. The old version used the old style internal PC speaker, which not all modern PCs have anymore (especially laptops). In the old version computers without an internal PC speaker played the default windows alert sound instead. Needless to day this ruined the effect.

The beep tone is 3000 Hz. If you want a different tone, you can go to the installation directory and replace the ParTimer.wav file with the tone of your choice. The start beep plays the first .5 seconds of the file, and the end beep plays the first .3 seconds. Make sure you adjust your computer's volume appropriately.

If you don't own a timer, this free program is the perfect complement to Steve Anderson's dry fire book

Here's the link

ParTimer Zip File

Dennis

check out matt's web www.burkettvideo.com there's an online dryfire training. Just becarefull with your monitor or you might want to buy a new one. I don't have a timer but I usually dryfire with matt's online training. very good! Thanks to matt. (Don't need timer for dry fire and save some $$$) ;)

As I am new here (been lurking for a while now) this may have been posted befor. I have found a great set of online dry fire drills.

heres the link to the sight ... just follow the link to the Dry Fire Drills (Menu on the left - about center) Burkett Video Web Site There is a slew of dry fire drills here.

My favorite is:

Burkett flash dry fire drills - online This one has an adjustable par timer, random "BEEP", selectable target type, really cool.