Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am the bane of firing pins everywhere

dagger10k

Anyone think it's weird that I've gone through 3 glock strikers in a little yes than a year?

I had 2 stock strikers get chipped enough that I started getting light strikes.

Just today I found that the front skinny part that goes through the hole in the breechface was entirely snapped off of my fancy Jager striker.

I'm not doing anything too crazy with my loads... Just moderate major loads with titegroup (and now N320). It seems to happen to me no matter what loads I use, from minor to 180PF, with primers ranging from Wolf to Federal.

I also managed to snap off the firing pin on my new Nordic Components NC22 upper.

I think I'm just cursed. oh well.

ETA: I'm shooting a Glock 20 with a KKM 40 S&W barrel.

Edited by dagger10k

o wow I have been 3+ years on a stock firing pin with 5k+ rounds through it each year. no issues yet.

I have a suctom one in my lim gun and 1k plus rounds through that with no issues. Id say something might be wrong but have no idea what it could be .

maybe something to do with where its hitting the primer? or something to do with the safety plunger. those ae the only things it really touches. Sorry no other ideas from me

I've had a pierced primer or 2 with the federals, but I've had the problem before that and it doesn't seem to happen very often...

I am using a wolff light striker spring.

Well, tomorrow I am shooting some long range with my Mosin Nagant. Maybe I'll manage to break the Mosin firing pin.

That'd make me the king of firing pin carnage.

gonna take a wild stab at this, but it may be a timing issue, assuming all the internals have been changed to lighter springs etc...they may be light enuff that the striker tip is being left sticking thru the breechface too long and as the gun unlocks its putting undue pressure on that tip and eventually causing it to shear off, a guess??? go back to a stock striker spring and im guessin it may go away, sacrifice a lil tripper pull smoothness for striker longevity???

Honestly, in my experience if one particular gun is breaking firing pins, it's probably going to keep breaking firing pins. I had a Gen-1 Glock 17 that would break its firing pin tip (factory part) off every 300 rounds likes clockwork. I sold the gun - while being honest with the buyer about the problem, he didn't care. He sent the gun back to Glock, they replaced the slide and cured the problem - which in retrospect is what I should have done rather than selling the gun.

Honestly, I'd be looking at some sort of dimensional problems inside the firing pin tunnel as being the likely culprit here. Call Glock, tell them the problem, they can probably fix it for you.

also there mite be some sort of headspace/unlocking/timing problem w/ the aftermarket(i recall you were running one???) barrel??? drop the factory in and see if it continues??? if it still persists, you can borrow my G22 forthe GSSF match at yolo if you want???

Headspacing? It's possible I guess. I'm not sure the stock barrel would be any better... (shooting 40 out of a 10mm barrel)

I'll definitely take you up on your offer of the G22 if my gun blows up before the match.