Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Matt Mink!!!

rsotelo

Hi Raooooooooooooooooooooooul, :P

I use a set of Heinie slantpros, with the rear modified to my liking by Vanek Custom. The rear notch is widened and deepened (can't remember exact numbers) and the front is just plain jane. I'll be at Alabama, I'll show you exactly what they look like. We'll have to hook up and all go out for a bite sometime.

See ya next week,

Matt

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forums!

Hey RS,

[rant on]

You holding out on us..hanging out with GM's and all. What's up with that?

We thought you were new to IPSC but nooooooooo, you're a personal friend of Matt Mink!!!

No wonder you've been moving up so fast and making us look like schmucks!!! <_<

No more mister nice guy.

[rant off]

Oh yeah, welcome. :D If you can't find it here, it doesn't exist or isn't worth talking about.

Thanks Matt for the info. I do think you might have me confused with someone else. My name is Ralph, not Raul and I am near Chicago not Alabama.

I do appreciate the information though. I read some of your posts and I also shoot a glock, but with stock sights. I have noticed lately, and only lately, that I am losing the sights. I figured I would ask you since I saw your post where you listed your USPSA card. Pretty impressive and congratulations.

SRT:

Are you in Illinois, or are you mistaking me for the same person?

Thanks to both of you for the welcome!

Cheers,

Ralph

Hello Flex,

Lately, indoors, I have noticed that I "lose" my front sight. I am trying to get better at shooting faster (picking up my sight picture faster). I may be doing it all wrong, but with my stock glock sights, I don't know if there is glare off the plastic, the lighting, or my eyes, but I can't pick up the front sight from the draw a quickly as I would like. It is off the draw that I am "losing" my front sight.

Does that make any sense?

-RS

Flex,

For the first shot, if I am not picking up the sight, I am just "point shooting" similar if a target was 10 feet away. This often results in a "C" hit. On occasion, when shooting through ports, the same will happen. Maybe because one eye's field of vision is blocked by the port.

CHP5,

Most of my practice and all of the matches this winter have been indoor. Now that the weather is nicer, I will be shooting outdoors more. I hope that the natural lighting improves my sighting.

Thanks again for all the help.

-RS

Cy brings up a great point. It can be tough to pick up the sights indoors.

The stock Glock sights actually give a a pretty good contrast...with the white dot on black.

Anyway, I don't feel that the sights are the problem here. I think it is your vision...and your lack of pulling your focus back to the front sight.

I still have the same question for you, and it will require you to open up your awareness at you next live-fire session.

If you aren't seeing the front sight...what are you seeing?

(The answer you gave me the first time told me what you where doing...not what you were seeing. ;))

Okay Flex,

I went shooting and paid very close attention to what I was seeing. I just installed new heinie slant pros on my guns and did notice a much different sight picture.

I tried doing draws at 8-10 yards to see what time I was getting and what accuracy and what I was "seeing". It really depended on what I was trying to do. If I was trying to go "fast" I noticed that I was not seeing the sights at all, but rather looking at the target and pulling the trigger. This usually resulted in A hits.

Then I tried the same, but focusing on my front sight. I noticed that by doing this, and trying to go "fast" my shots were off to the left or right more often than the first time. What I was "seeing" was my front sight, but not necessarily aligned with the rear. I figure this was throwing off my shot to the left or right.

The third I tried was going slow, focusing on my entire sight picture and gettign good hits. I woudl draw slow, focus on my sight picture, and squeeze of the shot. This usually resulted in A hits, but time was significantly slower.

Overall I noticed that my problem in seeing the sights came on the draw. I later went over the plate rack and concentrated on figuring out what i was "seeing" I noticed that after my first shot, I brought my sights back into "focus" and the remaining 5 plates were going down quick. What I was seeing what my sights where as before I am certain, I was focusing or "seeing" the target, not the sights.

What does this all mean? I don't know, but what I really need to work on is getting good hits with speed.

Thanks,

RS

As an aside, I talked to Raul Sotelo at Alabama this past weekend and I mentioned that I got you mixed up with him on this thread and he (and others) got a good laugh out of it. I mean what are the odds....rsotelo not being Raul??

Anyway, back to the subject. It sounds like you are on the right track. First off, you are paying attention to what you are seeing and that is the first step on the journey. Practice and refine!

What Matt siad. You are opening up your vision...that is the beginning.

You should find, eventually, that you can shoot just as fast by using input from your sights as you can by using a target focus.

(BTW, I use Hienie sights too. ;))