Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS Decapping Fix!

I use RCBS dies for all my reloading. Over the course of time, it seems the decapping starts to get temperamental. It doesn't always want to push the primer out. I have tried everything to fix this. I changed the pin depth, replaced the pin, etc, to fix but nothing takes care of the problem 100%. I would still have the issue about 10 in every 100 rounds. This is on different presses also. I finally took out one of the pins and filed it to a sharp point, and the problem has disappeared! This may have been suggested before, but I couldn't find it. I reloaded 1000+ rounds with no decapping issues!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just changed to the new RCBS Pow'r punch which includes a spring loaded punch tip. I think the main issue is with some hard to extract primers, the punch tip pushed deep into the primer and the primer is kinda stuck/clamped on the tip so when you retract, it retracts the primer back into the pocket slightly. At that point, your press locks up and wont advance unless you jiggle the shell a bit to get the primer to drop free (or have to remove the shell plate in extreme cases). With the spring loaded power punch, as the pin hits the primer, it begins to compress the spring and then quickly bottoms out and begins pushing the primer out. Then as the primer clears the pocket, the tension is released and the spring expands and whips the primer off the tip of the punch and down into the collection tube. So far, way less decapping issues for me reloading tons of 9mm. Its only $10 for the punch assembly and works with existing RCBS dies and still uses the standard shouldered replacement decapping tips if you break one.

• 1 month later...

Mine does this sometimes. I just double pump it and the stubborn primer usually pops out. This is annoying but nothing compared to getting that off-brand brass that has a slightly too-small flash hole where the pin gets stuck in the case. :angry2:

Sharpening the pin sounds like an easy solution to the problem. Good tip. :cheers:

• 1 month later...

I use RCBS dies for all my reloading. Over the course of time, it seems the decapping starts to get temperamental. It doesn't always want to push the primer out. I have tried everything to fix this. I changed the pin depth, replaced the pin, etc, to fix but nothing takes care of the problem 100%. I would still have the issue about 10 in every 100 rounds. This is on different presses also. I finally took out one of the pins and filed it to a sharp point, and the problem has disappeared! This may have been suggested before, but I couldn't find it. I reloaded 1000+ rounds with no decapping issues!

More and more , I use a Lee universal de-priming die .

God bless

Wyr