Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

R-P headstamp and sizing die on 650

gdedrick

I'm new to reloading using the 650 press. I loaded my first 500 rounds and noticed that the R-P 9mm brass headstamp are consistently not sized deep enough so they fit in my chamber checker. any advice, comments would be appreciated. thanks

Make sure that the size/decap die just barely makes contact with the shellplate at the bottom of the downstroke. Sounds like you might not be sizing the case as much as possible.

If your die is set up properly, and you're still having issues, the brass may have been shot out of an unsupported/modified for feeding reliability bbl, where you're probably going to want to roll the brass or not use it at all.

Hi Greg,

On my 650s, I set the sizing die so it contacts the shell plate enough so you feel the handle slightly "cam over" on the downstroke with no brass in the press. IOW, it contacts the plate very firmly! If that doesn't get it down enough, the brass needs to go to the recycler as it is bulged too much. HOWEVER, this only applies if the rounds don't fit because they are bulged too low. Resize a couple pcs of empty brass & check them in your chamber checker. If they fit empty but don't fit after you load them, it isn't a problem at the bottom of the brass but perhaps the bullet seated offcenter or oversize bullets. I use a lee FCD die at the end to prevent that from happening.

If the brass is bulged too much at the very bottom, it could well have been shot through an automatic weapon where support is minimal or could have been very hot rounds originally.

Holler at me if you want to work on this in person. I'm always round!

Mark

Hi Greg,

On my 650s, I set the sizing die so it contacts the shell plate enough so you feel the handle slightly "cam over" on the downstroke with no brass in the press. IOW, it contacts the plate very firmly! If that doesn't get it down enough, the brass needs to go to the recycler as it is bulged too much. HOWEVER, this only applies if the rounds don't fit because they are bulged too low. Resize a couple pcs of empty brass & check them in your chamber checker. If they fit empty but don't fit after you load them, it isn't a problem at the bottom of the brass but perhaps the bullet seated offcenter or oversize bullets. I use a lee FCD die at the end to prevent that from happening.

If the brass is bulged too much at the very bottom, it could well have been shot through an automatic weapon where support is minimal or could have been very hot rounds originally.

Holler at me if you want to work on this in person. I'm always round!

Mark

Thanks Mark. We'll do that and see where the problem is.

Greg

Size 5-6 cases, and chamber check these sized, empty pieces of brass. If they chamber completely,then the problem lies elsewhere.

resized 6 pieces of RP headstamped brass and they all fit empty into chamber checker. I'll continue to check other dies and see where issue is. thanks

Greg