Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pulling the trigger with *one* and only one finger

EricW

Dr. Leatham doses out a heaping spoonful of wisdom

I've had Rob's rant stuck in my head for a couple of weeks now. I had some time to apply it at the range today. It's just amazing how my groups shrink and the flyers disappear when I deliberately use only my trigger finger to pull the trigger. It feels like my finger is somehow distinct and separate from the rest of my hand.

(In a good way - not the Goodfellas kind of way.)

• 1 month later...

Me too. That is exactly what I had to get a handle on to get my speed shooting scores up to where they should be: isolate 100% on the trigger pull and freeze all the other muscles in the hands and wrists, leaving only the trigger finger alive. hard to do when you are rushed, but essential to avoid "flyers".

Something I found which is important: when trying to shoot fast, I was incorrectly letting the red dot's position signal when to shoot: ie, when the dot is in position, yank the trigger. But a good trigger pull is not automatic (not for me), it's a separate function that requires focus on and proper execution. My best scores (and tightest groups) were achieved when I put the dot into the area as I "prepped" the trigger (took up the slack), then focused 100% on trigger pull. The dot position was then ignored, and I fired only when I was completely focused on the trigger pull itself. No more flyers.