Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a AR for tactical division

RDunn

Hey guys im new to the site and Im wanting to get into 3-Gun. I currently shoot in idpa. But i really want to build a rifle for tactical division.

i have read thru the rule book on the uspsa website. now i just need alittle help with the parts i need and where to get them from.

thanks for the help, im feeling alittle overwhelmed with all the info i have been reading and i dont want to buy the wrong parts. i would rather just ask and get the right stuff the first time.

thanks

Ryan

Choose known good quality parts, components can be the difference between a good rifle and a great rifle.

Jim

+1

I recently built a rifle up from a Firebird lower, it is tight and accurate. The accuracy is not from my gunsmithing skills, but from the precision parts.

im wanting a

16"-18" barrel

i dont know what compensator to get thou.

magpul stock and grip

aimpoint comp m3 (but open to suggestions)

also looking for suggestions on the front rail system

thats all i have so far, any other suggestions would be appreciated

thanks

Ryan

im wanting a

16"-18" barrel

magpul stock and grip

thanks

Ryan

Ryan,

I'm real new to the 3gun sport also, but a couple thoughts:

I went with a 17" barrel, no real reason other than it's different from everybody else, plus with a Titan comp the whole barrel assembly's only 19" long. I also went with a carbon fore end from DPMS (they're $82 at Midway USA) because it's light. The rifle length weighs in at 8oz, a full half pound lighter than the aluminum tube I was running before. I've got the Magpul MOE grip, it fits my hand very well. I'm also running a 1x4 scope for the extra magnification at 200yds, I don't know how well my eyes would use it at any longer distances (Ok, so I'm in my 50's. My eyes need all the help they can get!). For a trigger, I sent an RRA 2stage match trigger to White Oak and had him touch it up. I never thought I would like a 2stage trigger, but this thing is super consistent and just plain works. And just for S&G's, I added an engraved ejection port cover that screams "Zombie Killer". Hey, what's life without a bit of levity? :sight:

im wanting a

16"-18" barrel

magpul stock and grip

thanks

Ryan

Ryan,

I'm real new to the 3gun sport also, but a couple thoughts:

I went with a 17" barrel, no real reason other than it's different from everybody else, plus with a Titan comp the whole barrel assembly's only 19" long. I also went with a carbon fore end from DPMS (they're $82 at Midway USA) because it's light. The rifle length weighs in at 8oz, a full half pound lighter than the aluminum tube I was running before. I've got the Magpul MOE grip, it fits my hand very well. I'm also running a 1x4 scope for the extra magnification at 200yds, I don't know how well my eyes would use it at any longer distances (Ok, so I'm in my 50's. My eyes need all the help they can get!). For a trigger, I sent an RRA 2stage match trigger to White Oak and had him touch it up. I never thought I would like a 2stage trigger, but this thing is super consistent and just plain works. And just for S&G's, I added an engraved ejection port cover that screams "Zombie Killer". Hey, what's life without a bit of levity? :sight:

I'm just back from shooting TX State 2_gun Championship and the night match. Shots out to 485 yard, lots of hosing runing and runing and gunning. My little cheapo weaver 1-3x sure was nice at 450 yards and on 6" steel plates at 100 and 250 yards. I never thought that I could like a 2 stage trigger but it sure was nice on those long shots, and it didn't keep me from spraying the close stuff. I also have a carbon fiber free float (PRI) and get the longest one that will fit your gun, that will keep you from burning your fingers on the hot barrel. I run an 18" even if other peope have it its ok, Robert, mine is a fluted Sabre and the weight and balance of the gun is very good. I have a Sabre Defense Comp but it works just as well as the Miculek $49.00 comp, the Benny Hill some day when I get extra money. I also run the JP Low Mass and it does make a difference. I find the 18" doesn't feel any different than a 16" but the longer gas lenght softens up the recoil a bit, my next gun will be a 20"