Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun at the PSA Shootout

David Sinko

It looks like Shotgun now has its own division at the PSA Shootout and is no longer just a side match. This match is all falling steel to include plate racks, poppers and whatever else they can think of. I have done it a few times but never with a shotgun. Is there any particular strategy involved when shotgunning lots of falling steel targets that are relatively close together? I figure some of these targets will be close enough that one blast will take down at least two. Am I correct in this assumption? What's the best way to shoot lots of steel targets of varying size that are relatively close together? Any insight will be appreciated.

Dave Sinko

It looks like Shotgun now has its own division at the PSA Shootout and is no longer just a side match. This match is all falling steel to include plate racks, poppers and whatever else they can think of. I have done it a few times but never with a shotgun. Is there any particular strategy involved when shotgunning lots of falling steel targets that are relatively close together? I figure some of these targets will be close enough that one blast will take down at least two. Am I correct in this assumption? What's the best way to shoot lots of steel targets of varying size that are relatively close together? Any insight will be appreciated.

Dave Sinko

I don't know really. I shot the shotgun side matches last year. To shoot the main match would require some kind of quick reload setup from 3-gun like a Saiga-12 or a semi-auto with a magazine feed tube setup. Definitely going to take more than a single 9 round mag to shoot. As for a choke setup the 870 with the grasscutter I used in Nam would be a good setup. Not sure how well it would work with #6 shot or smaller verses a 3" magnum with 41 pellets of #4 Buckshot in it which you can't use.

A magazine fed Saiga would be the hot setup.

I'm shooting an SLP with a 9 rd tube, I might order a plus on for it. My plan is to shoot birdshot at smaller targets and #6 at the bigger steel. I figure I have almost three month to practice my reloading. This my first time shooting the PSA so whole day will be a learning experience for me :surprise:

Actually, last year was the first year that shotgun was part of the main match it is just that in 2010 shotguns were shot on the first day only. This year, they will be shot as part of your squad. Strategy: Must keep reloading fast.

• 3 weeks later...

I've shot a good bit of steel, and the trick is to make nice, square hits. I'm not going to try mixing loads, I'm going to run 6 or 7 on everything.

if there's a difficult steel, aim for the top. Make sure you pattern your gun first, so you know where the bulk of pellets end up.

those of us that shoot skeet/trap/sproting clays know that some guns pattern in a donut after a certain distance, so dead aim might not be good out past 35 yards or so. Only practice will tell.

shotgun spread is about 1 inch every yard of distance. So I'm guessing the steel would not be spread such that you could do 2 at once.

Try it! shotguns are not the spray-n-pray movies make them out to be.

What's the PSA? It is possible to shoot doubles in almost any match with steel. you just have to recognize them in the walk thru and plan them, usually at an angle. That is, if there are stage set ups that lend themselves to doubles.

this match won't be preventing angles, as it will all be shot stationary from a table. think Steel challenge, no running, just gunning.

Check out google PSAShootout. it should be a great match. they had a practice match this weekend with 52 pieces of small steel in one stage :surprise:

A buddy of mine is on you tube loading his shotgun for 74 of the 100 seconds he was shooting.

The problem is the fact that there is only one class for shotgun.

A one round at a time loader is going to be shooting against a Saiga that can load ten rds. in three seconds.

Would it be fun? Yes,but I would at least like to have a chance to win after blowing 250 shotgun rds. downrange!

I don't understand why they do not have separate classes for the shotgun event as they do for pistols?

Just saying

The problem is the fact that there is only one class for shotgun.

A one round at a time loader is going to be shooting against a Saiga that can load ten rds. in three seconds.

Would it be fun? Yes,but I would at least like to have a chance to win after blowing 250 shotgun rds. downrange!

I don't understand why they do not have separate classes for the shotgun event as they do for pistols?

Just saying

I shot the PSA practice match. I only had 5 shell caddies so I loaded out of a box for the rest. I know I will not beat a good running Saiga or stick fed 1100 but I don't care. It's lewis payout so I still have a chance at money, and I know I will have FUN.

Also talking to Chris from Palmyra there was 30 shotgun sign up as of them. This is the first year for shotgun on the main stage. Next year could be classes.

Need a good laugh, here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqJPLQkAXcU

I'll try to answer a few questions

when we set the targets all but the full size poppers go down with a 22. yes things change over 4 days but we try to set them as light as we can

yes with the shotguns you will get doubles and even trips, last year we had 180ish targets and I shot 160ish shells

1 1/8 oz 3 dram 6's are max but not needed. I shoot 1oz 8's and 9's

last year I shot an IC choke for all but one stage and that one stage that was longer I shot a mod

as for classes, guys, its taken me 5 years to get shotgun in the match. lets just get the shotgun numbers up so it stays.

Chris