Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Do You Anneal Rifle Brass?

carbon9

Just like the title asks, How do you anneal rifle brass? What methods are there? I see mention of annealing fired brass every so often, what intervals or what determines when to do it? I am mostly interested for .223 right now and probably .308 later. Would there be a difference in the two types and/or process? Do I just need a torch and a fireproof bench top :roflol:

You rang?

A machine makes for consistant results and are not too hard to build. The hard part is the "blade" to offset the cost of mine I had a pile of them CNC laser cut at the same time and a bunch of DIY types have put one together. This is the one I built for myself.

The album with step by step photos is here

http://m121.photobucket.com/albums/jmorrismetal/annealer/

DSC01810.jpg

th_nottoohot.jpg

Here is a video of one build with my drawings and blade, he made his about as simple as you can get.

th_borganneal.jpg

Thank you to every person who responded. I learned a lot. Good article and cool machines. Something I know I will be doing soon with how obsessive I am.

JMorris, do you have any "Blades" left and a plans/parts list? Please PM me with details and prices. I agree with DyNO!, you should sell them, kits or complete, either way!!!

Thank you, again.

I just ordered the $400 machine today so we can offer the service as soon as it gets here. I was looking at the machine posted above and actually thought about building one, we have a full machine shop so it wouldn't be a big deal. Then I was thinking about when I would build it and the thought of passing up a match to do more work was more than I could bear, so I wrote the check.....