Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Henning extractor spring

JCB

I recently clean the gun and I also change the extractor spring, original, and replaced it with Hennings spring.

Now, I never had any problems with extraction before.

I did this change just before a competition.

All my reloaded ammo had gone thru the bulge remover and I had a problem free competition...

Have don nothing to the gun, next time, wont feed the last part.

The slide stops about a inch to early.

This ammo is not bulged. Just EGW U-die.

So when I got home I testet with my practice ammo, empty bullet.

The one gone thru bulgeremover chamberd smooth.

The others, nope... cant push it all the way, I had to help/force it in.

Just changed back to regular spring, problem solved.

I the Henning or the Wolff spring so hard that you should not use them unless you have a extractor problem?

Or is it just something in my gun?

Because going back to the Henning spring, same problem...

So it have to be because of the tension from what I understand.

Best regards

Jostein

Check to make sure that the extractor has enough travel to allow the base of the case to get under it. I have seen some guns get coil bind on the extractor spring and it stops it from moving back far enough to chamber rounds. EAA/Tanfo may have changed the depth of the extractor spring hole in the slide. If that hole is too shallow then the extractor spring will coil bind before it moves back far enough to allow the base of the case to get underneath it.

In this situation you may have to cut a coil or two off of the extractor spring so that the extractor will have enough travel before it coil binds.

An easy way to check for coil bind is to put the standard extractor spring in the gun then manually pull the extractor back until it will not move any more. Then take note of the maximum movement angle. Then put in the Henning or Wolff extractor spring and do the same thing. You should have just about the same amount of maximum movement angle with each spring type. If you have less movement angle then cut off coils on the extractor spring until you have enough travel.

Edited by CHA-LEE