Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP01 magazine reassembly after cleaning

vernonsmith

Shot my brand new SP01 the other day GREAT gun, shoots great and zero malfunction except sometime the magazine will not drop free when pressing the mag release. This is minor problem.

But the other major problem is when I try to reassemble the magazine base after I clean the tube. When I slide in the base pad back onto the magazine it is VERY hard to get or aim the notch/detent on the floor plate back into the base pad hole. It keep moving out of place (to either side) when I slide the base pad back on. For one mag only I used almost 10 mins just to get this back to its hole don’t think I can do this during a match when you have a few mags to clean.

Anyone is having the same problem and what’s the fastest way to do this? Or is CZ selling the bigger size plate as I think this is due to the smaller size of the plate compare to the mag tube which thereby allows itself to move all over the place on the base of the mag.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

i have a leatherman multitool in my bag. anytime i disassemble any CZ mag, i use the small metal poker thing on it to manipulate the baseplate inside the mag til it lines up. i've also used a small nail clipper's pointed file, a pen, small knife, pick, basically anything that can be used to poke through the hole and move the base plate's notch into the base pad hole.

Is it a 19 round mag with the plastic base plate, or a standard 75 mag with the metal baseplate? The plastic baseplates always go together real easy for me, but the metal one are a pain to get lined up sometimes.

I never have any issues like you mention. But I have the 19 rounders with the plastic base pads, not the metal ones.

I use the Arredondo Mag Brush. The pointy end fits perfect in the hole to push the base plate in.

I don't know if this helps or not.

Edited by CZinSC

the problem i have with the arredondo mag brush is the plastic tip isn't hard enough. i wore that tip out pretty fast, and it's too fat to fit through the cz rubber base pads as well. i wish he made a smaller version with a metal tip for production/single stack shooters.

Dude, you're using the wrong end! That, or you're mistaking the end of the Arredondo for one of your fine cigars! I've been using mine for every match, and then for cleaning between matches, etc...the tip is no where near wearing down. That end fits just fine through the end of a CZ rubber base pad.

:sight:

Just for you Squirrels: Using an Arrendono on CZ 19 round mags

Try it with the metal base plate and rubber pad. The plastic tip won't manipulate the metal nub on reassembly. Basically when you reassemble, the nub only partly shows through the hole. I use a metal pointed object to pull the nub to align it with the hole. Then it pops up and retains it. The plastic tip on my arredondo brush is too soft and beat, and it just slips off the nub without moving it. Disassembly isn't the problem, it's reassembly.

Cant you just file or sand down the point of the Arrendondo? Mine doesn't go all the way in, but far enough to displace the metal nub to allow the base pad to slide away. The shaft of the arredondo seems sturdy enough (at least on mine) that it wouldn't flex even if you took off a few millimeters to allow it to go further into the hole.

far enough to displace the metal nub to allow the base pad to slide away

like i said, disassembly isn't the problem, it's reassembly.

jordanO said:

The plastic baseplates always go together real easy for me, but the metal one are a pain to get lined up sometimes. [/img]

and that's what i use a sharp pointed metal tool for. the metal point bites into the nub, and you can drag it into the hole to lock the base pad in place.

this thread reminded me of some things i have in my idea bin... so i left ralph arredondo a message on FB earlier. i told him i have a couple ideas for a smaller, improved mag brush for people with skinnier mags.

i like the arredondo brush for what it is, but i stopped carrying it in my bag. it takes up too much room. i replaced it with the barrel cleaning brush that comes with CZs. so, there's three things i can do depending on the amount of cleaning needed - 1. rinse with water from bottle or spit and shake it out... 2. use the barrel brush to knock out crud or sand... 3. ram and drag a tiny rag through it wrapped around the barrel brush with some oil on it. that, and slamming the tube around on hard wooden surfaces. :roflol:

Understood. Guess I just don't have experience with the exact mags you are speaking of.

I thought I'd at least get a laugh out of you for the Cigar comment though.

BTW, Going to miss you at the FL Open. Me and the other Glenn will be representing on the CZ's. We both had a good match yesterday, so hopefully that carries over to Frostproof.

let me step back a second.

clickable exhibit A:

base1q.jpg

there are two primary styles of magazine spring base plates. they are both metal. one will have a raised cylinder section (left), the other will have a stamped raised section (right).

note the distance between the locator nubs and the back end of the plate. if your magazine has the left type of base plate with the raised cylinder, it locates easily and pops into place most every time.

however, if you have the stamped raised nub like all of mine, they will not line up. i believe JordanO has this type. JordanO and I end up with this crap:

exhibit B:

base2align.jpg

Note in the pic i'm using a pick. I've also used the nail file of a nail clipper, or a chipped tip on the small blade screwdriver of my leatherman multi-tool. See how the nub is misaligned with the hole? I just use the sharp end to dig into it, and drag it into the right position.

Crap, now that I think about it, I should email CZ-USA and get a part number for the newer style base plate.

Nah, costs money. eff it. :cheers:

Thanks squirrel, exactly the info I am looking for.

I can't believe it, this pistol is so popular yet no one seems to have any complaint about this??? So now I have to carry another tool in my range bag imagine if I lose it or can't find this tiny pin during a match...

Edited by vernonsmith

throw a leatherman or swiss army knife or other multitool into your range bag. comes in handy anyways for a lot of stuff. or, a 50 cent 1.5" nail clipper w/file. does the mag base, clip extra FO, fix a bust fingernail, use as a pick to clean behind the CZ extractor, when deployed in clipping mode it can help adjust mag pouch knobs like pliers, help open food bars,i dunno. there were a couple other uses i found in my gun bag for it. :shrug:

Wow, now I see what you are talking about. yes, mine are the kind on the left...no problems at all. I can see where you would have issues. I think it would be worth the money for the amount of shooting you do to not have one other thing to worry about or slow you down.

Yeah. Maybe later when I put another large order in. I just dumped 180 to rebuild two guns and all mags, and upgrade to them fandangled xl firing pins lmao.

I've had one now for a couple of months. Have noticed the amount of light strikes go down to almost none ( dont want to jinx myself ). Glenn F just installed one in his SP01 last week. i didn't notice him having any light strikes at all, and he was having a lot lately.

We need our own chit chat thread lol. I'm on a bus stuck on a freeway traffic jam. Hour late to work and counting.

Why the light primers? Are you reloading? Federal primers?

I never had any on my gun before until my press went down and my buddy gave me some white box. Bam! Ten in one stage, haha! Now the question is... with the xl pin, do I make the trigger lighter or keep it the same for compatibility.... hehe

Hi All,

Just to let you know, czcustom (Angus) now has the locks pictured on left - with 'cylinder' section, part #10074, they sell for $5.

I bought 2 of them to try on diff mags, should have them in 2 days.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered two from czcustom and got one of each (ooops), to be perfectly correct, dunno why - one as pictured on left (SP-01 style mag) and one as pictured on right (.40s&w style mag) on pix provided by BurningS. (didn't wanna use abbreviation for obvious reason :D)

SP-01 style Magazine Base Lock works same as regular SP-01 one as they are identical. I did have to trim long sides and rear for '.40s&w' style one to fit in 10rds mag thou or it wouldn't fit (too wide) and lock in place (to long in the back).