Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on COL

sgoddard

I'm new to reloading and have a few questions on COL, I've tried to read every post I can on the subject. I think I understand the effect of this on pressure and velocity (longer COL less pressure, shorter COL more pressure) My question is when coming up with a load is it best to follow the load right out of the manual (besides starting 10% lighter on the powder) Or does one try and keep the COL as close as possible to that which functions best in the gun and then adjust the powder to the load they desire?

If you are talking about Over All Length, use the length your gun likes and adjust powder and charge weight to power factor using a chronograph.

Just be sure to use a powder that is compatible with length.

Most manuals are written using a fairly short OAL to function in most guns, where in IPSC we many times we use a longer length IE 40S&W to function better in S-I's and to shoot softer by using fast powders.

It is usually safe pressure wise to go longer, but presures go up quick going shorter.

Guest Larry Cazes

I load .40 to 1.200". In general, you should be fine if you start with a light load for a given set of conditions (OAL,Bullet weight,etc.) and always work up slowly using a chronograph during load development. As you are testing your loads, always check for ANY signs of excessive pressure such as stretched primer pockets, flattened primers, etc and backoff if evident. Remember that FAST powders in small volume cases can be very unpredictable and non-linear. Also, be very cautious of any combinations of bullet and powder that manufacturers do not publish data for.......There is usually good reason.

Shorter than book = might blow up your gun, especially in 40.

Longer than book = might jam your gun, but won't blow it up.

Some of the specs given for loads list OAL's that are so short they're simply ridiculous. OAL's for 230 gr. 45ACP come to mind.

If you're working up your loads like you should and being observant, you will rarely get surprised.

One of my reloading manuals (Speer? LaserCast?) says you should always load your bullets as long you can while still getting reliable function. That makes sense to me, since you'll minimize the pressure for a given powder charge.

I would load at least as long as the published load, and if I needed to go shorter, I'd look in other reloading manuals until I found something.

DogmaDog