Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New guy from frozen Michigan

ric426

Hi folks,

Just signed up after browsing through the forums. It looks like there's a lot of good info and friendly people here!

I've been a wheel gunner for a long time shooting PPC, but just got my first semi-auto (M&P 9 Pro) and I'm looking forward to learning lots of new stuff about shooting it and reloading for 9mm. Eventually I plan on trying some forms of action shooting depending on what I find in my area.

Ric W.

SE Michigan! Monthly matches and frequent practice sessions at all of these venues:

USPSA in Brighton and Romulus and Utica and Williamston

IDPA in Brooklyn and Saline and Romulus and Brighton and Utica and Linden and (used to be Williamston too, maybe again).

More clubs near Toledo and Fort Wayne. Plenty of options... Just where in SE Michigan are you?

Billski

SE Michigan! Monthly matches and frequent practice sessions at all of these venues:

USPSA in Brighton and Romulus and Utica and Williamston

IDPA in Brooklyn and Saline and Romulus and Brighton and Utica and Linden and (used to be Williamston too, maybe again).

More clubs near Toledo and Fort Wayne. Plenty of options... Just where in SE Michigan are you?

Billski

I'm in Highland, not far from Brighton and Linden. Glad to hear there are so many opportunities around these parts. I have no experience with any action shooting. Where's a good place to get started? Do any of the venues have intro sessions?

I'm in Highland, not far from Brighton and Linden. Glad to hear there are so many opportunities around these parts. I have no experience with any action shooting. Where's a good place to get started? Do any of the venues have intro sessions?

Welcome!

Some do have intro sessions. Top Gun Practical Shooters is a club that holds only winter matches at Top Gun Shooting Sports in Taylor (indoors). We have practice matches every 1st and 3rd Thurs evening (tonight was one), and a match the fourth Sunday of the month (also evening). These are geared towards starting new shooters, and helping the experienced folks fend off getting rusty over the winter. Generally speaking, someone will sort of guide you through everything, so it's more fun.

Even if you can't get to one of those, contact anybody at any USPSA club, and they'll put you in touch with folks who will help get you started, break down the rules, divisions, etc, etc, into bite-sized chunks. If you're not sure who to contact, send me a PM and we'll get it sorted out.

Two really helpful threads:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78927&view=findpost&p=913533

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30482&view=findpost&p=350697

Hi folks,

Just signed up after browsing through the forums. It looks like there's a lot of good info and friendly people here!

I've been a wheel gunner for a long time shooting PPC, but just got my first semi-auto (M&P 9 Pro) and I'm looking forward to learning lots of new stuff about shooting it and reloading for 9mm. Eventually I plan on trying some forms of action shooting depending on what I find in my area.

Ric W.

Welcome, Ric! You'll find that SE Michigan is a hotbed of action shooting. You name it, you can shoot it around here: IDPA, USPSA, ICORE, GSSF, 3-Gun, etc.

If you are looking for a good class to get you started, I would suggest an "Intro to IDPA" class that is presented by the Livingston Conservation and Sports Association (LCSA link). Dave Johnason runs a great IDPA program there. If you feel like heading south to Saline, MI, you can shoot at my club the Tri-County Sportsmen's League.

Good to have you aboard Ric. I had no idea what a great place SE Michigan is for shooting when I first got into it. During the warmer months there is something going on every weekend, usually more than one. Even during the winter you can usually find something to shoot. Everyone pretty much covered the where but I wanted to add, let us know when you are ready to come out and shoot. I'm sure at least one of us would be happy to meet up and help you get started.