Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much diff between EGW and Ed Brown bushing

kreativecid

Do not want to start a debate or "war" on which company is better. Please.

Looking to put a new bushing in a project 1911 45. From what little I know the Ed Brown is almost a one-size-fits-all? And the EGW you match up ID and OD measurements.

From a pure barrel to bushing fit (and nothing to do with the other aspects of accuracy) does one have a clear advantage over the other in any area?

Thank you in advance.

All bushings are gonna be sold with a advertised inside diameter you'll match to slightly smaller than your barrel. The outside diameter of the bushings are gonna be oversized like almost all 1911 parts to allow for fitting to your slide. Only issue I have with Ed brown bushings is the "Edbrown" stamped on the front of them. Have you bought your barrel yet ? Frequently barrels are sold as a barrel bushing matched set.

I was going to use the existing barrel and slide. Bad idea?

All bushings are gonna be sold with a advertised inside diameter you'll match to slightly smaller than your barrel. The outside diameter of the bushings are gonna be oversized like almost all 1911 parts to allow for fitting to your slide. Only issue I have with Ed brown bushings is the "Edbrown" stamped on the front of them. Have you bought your barrel yet ? Frequently barrels are sold as a barrel bushing matched set.

No not at all, Just if you were buying a barrel you could just as easily buy one with a bushing all ready fit, Fitting a bushing is pretty simmple, Unless your slide is really bad pretty much any name brand bushing can be fit to it, It's gonna be tight and may need some work to the retaining tab. So dont expect it to just go in, Kuhhasens book on the 1911 is a great resource and will tell you everything you need to know.

That book has been recommended more than once. I think it's a sign I should just get it!

No not at all, Just if you were buying a barrel you could just as easily buy one with a bushing all ready fit, Fitting a bushing is pretty simmple, Unless your slide is really bad pretty much any name brand bushing can be fit to it, It's gonna be tight and may need some work to the retaining tab. So dont expect it to just go in, Kuhhasens book on the 1911 is a great resource and will tell you everything you need to know.