Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Few questions about Techgwell SP on SSTK

kreativecid

Thinking of putting a Techwell SP on my SSTK 45 and wanted to clarify a few things.

The SP allows for a greater mouth opening than, say, a S&A, and you don't need extended mag base pads like the Dawson unit.

The SP can work with any flat bottom grips ala VR4's mods, too; what is the advantage of not using the Techwell alumagrips? I need new grips anyway and a magwell but wanted to ask before making a $150+ investment.

Thank you.

You're still going to need a reasonable basepad to use with the SP, but you won't need one that's really long like the Wilson DE length (.625" if I recall).

You can't really use just any old grip since standard wood will likely fail after you slot them (eventually anyway). Most any of the hard synthetic grips should be fine, but a lot of them are heavier than the Alumagrips, because the inside of the Alumagrips has been scalloped out to save weight (since they're still strong enough at that thickness). R,

You can also take out material out the back of any grip. This is what my VZ Diamond back grips look like. 1oz was taken out so I could make weight in CDP. Also Tripp Research base plates work as is with the SP magwell.

TECHWEARMOD002.jpg?t=1296425914

You can also take out material out the back of any grip. This is what my VZ Diamond back grips look like. 1oz was taken out so I could make weight in CDP. Also Tripp Research base plates work as is with the SP magwell.

Nice looking work! R,

I just didnt think the alumagrips had much bite to them when I had them.

Which version did you have? I know the Techwell Alumagrips were done to Bob Novak's specs. He said he spent a whole day trying different checkering patterns on them until he got what he wanted. R,

You're still going to need a reasonable basepad to use with the SP, but you won't need one that's really long like the Wilson DE length (.625" if I recall).

I have the SP on one of my guns, and it runs fine with stock basepads on Wilson ETM, 47D, and standard CMC. The XT, on the other hand, requires some sort of extended basepad or a world class reload technique..

FWIW, I find the techwell alumagrips grippier than the G10.

Edited by bbbean

I have the SP on one of my guns, and it runs fine with stock basepads on Wilson ETM, 47D, and standard CMC. The XT, on the other hand, requires some sort of extended basepad or a world class reload technique..

FWIW, I find the techwell alumagrips grippier than the G10.

Exactly that's the sort of basepad I meant when I said a "reasonable" basepad...it's there, but nowhere near as tall as the Wilson DE length. R,

what is the advantage of not using the Techwell alumagrips? I need new grips anyway and a magwell but wanted to ask before making a $150+ investment.

Thank you.

I'll let you know when I do the cut on my grips to accept the SP magwell (thanks to VR4's DIY). Nothing wrong with the Techwell grips, it's just that I like my Horned Lizards from Larry D and already have them.

I'll be at the next Nampa, Parma, or Emmett match.

-Evans