Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Too much grip tape

kreativecid

My first match was a snowy windy day so I wore a big thick fleecy flannel hunting jacket. And since I had read all about grip tape and the benefits of a lot of grip tape, well, my G34 had enough on it for an entire skateboard store and the boat deck we rode in on.

Buzzer goes off. Draw firearm. And pull out a giant ball of white fleece with a 9mm barrel poking out the end. Between the BANG of the 9 I could hear my friendly match competitors howling in laughter. I'm still laughing about that day.

I had grip tape everywhere. I'm talkin' up near the front sight!!

Later I took a few lessons and the instructor took all the grip tape off except where my weak hand makes contact on the grip and front strap.

I've been told it's only really needed on the front strap and the upper part of the grip on the side where your weak hand makes contact.

That's awesome, though :D

• 4 weeks later...

I used too use too much tape, but not quite as much as you! Now, I only tape the front strap on my Glock 34. With the right grip, I find I don't need too much of it. In the summer time, I add tape to the rear of the slide and that's it. I wish I could have seen, it, must have been funny.

Edited by Handgun World Show