Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

trouble finding cz75 mag

cz75nate

The pre-B's generally have a narrower mag tunnel than more recent pistols, and I don't expect the MecGars will fit immediately.

I shoot a pre-B, but I live a couple miles from the custom shop and had them open up the grip to accept modern magazines. A bit of patience and a file could get you there. I also shoot MecGar mags and have never had a mag related issue. MecGar is no longer OEM for the 75 9mm mags, but I think they still make the 40's. Regardless they're very high quality. (I've heard that Baby Eagle and small frame Tanfoglio mags work too, but haven't tried them myself.)

You can find older mags on Gunbroker, and often the seller's don't know what they have. I had five pre-B mags before starting USPSA, and I was able to sell them at such a premium that I could pay for the mag tunnel work and new mags by selling mine. Pre-B mags are also 15rds instead of 16, making them more desirable in New Jersey with has a 15rd capacity limit.

A couple weeks ago I saw a lot of pre-B mags available on Gunbroker because an importer had received a large batch of ex-eastern European police guns.

Here's one of the pistol auctions:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=211866834

The seller advertises having additional 15rd mags available for $20. It could be a good arbitrage opportunity for those so inclined.

I'll post a couple pictures to help you identify which are pre-B's for auction hunting:

pre-B on the left, it has a larger baseplate compared to the MecGar.

post-18709-066170800 1296335138_thumb.jp

pre-B's do not have witness holes in the front of the mag

post-18709-014832800 1296335147_thumb.jp

pre-B's are not ambidextrous, have two or three holes on the left side and usually one hole on the right side. They also have a bead rolled into the bottom of the mag.

post-18709-046138500 1296335161_thumb.jp

Finally, the follower has a smooth transition to the slide stop pad and a single longer foot (not shown) which limits the magazine to 15 rounds. The baseplate is also spot welded together.

post-18709-057049000 1296335170_thumb.jp

Edited by belus

In my Pre-B I can use either the factory mags or the small frame Tanfoglio mags. I never tried the Baby Eagle mags but like belus stated, I've read they work just fine. The Mec-Gar 75B mags won't fit my gun. I thought about having it opened up to use the "B" mags but never bothered because I had enough CZ factory and Tanfoglio mags.