Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MG Seating Depth For XDM

saibot

A friend and I buy all of our reloading equipment and consumables on bulk to reduce the cost as well as pool labor for reloading which in the past has worked just fine. I typically load for my M&P FS9 since it has a shorter barrel and we use it as the minimum which works out well for the XDM. Until now.

I switched to Montana Gold 124 FMJ bullets, found a good charge and seating depth and pressed out a couple thousand of them like usual. They run great in my M&P and they do run in the XDM, but once chambered in the XDM you can not rack the slide to unload and show clear. You have to really muscle it open because the combination of the MG FMJ and the seating depth cause the bullet to engage the lands and get a bite on the bullet. The was never a problem before because the Zeros are more round where as the MGs strait with a single angle to the end.

Bummer.

So after all of that I have two questions.

1. As a sanity check, what bullet seating depth have you found to work with a XDM and MG FMJ?

2. He has 1k rounds he can't use until he bumps the bullet back. But I have crimped them with a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Any problems seating again with a crimped cartridge?

Thanks!

I use 147gr with a oal of 1.124 on average

sdm74

That's fairly deep for that bullet. Does it crunch when you seat it? :)

Thanks for the info!!

That's not deep..minimum oal is 1.10 according to hodgdon data

Another possibility is to send the barrel to Canyon Creek, or Spring Precision, or any smith that has a chamber/leade reamer and have them set the barrel up for that combo. Should take a week or so, unless you have some one local that can do it for you. It is not that big a deal.

Good luck,

DougC