Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production question

1911vm

I am just double checking, for production. Can I or not, install rear adjustable sights in to the same cut (without modifying the slide) ?

It appears so, as long as the gun originally came with adjustable sights.

Here are the current NRA Action Pistol Rules, concerning Rule 3.2.1 Production Firearm:

3.2.1 Production Firearm - The intent of this rule is to encourage the use of Production Firearms as manufactured and promote NRA Action Pistol Shooting at the “Grass Roots” level. Accordingly, in order to keep this class from becoming and “Equipment Match” Single Action only pistols are prohibited”.

A Production Firearm is a semi-automatic handgun or revolver which is or has been a catalogue item readily available to the general public equipped with factory notch & post sights. All standard safety features of guns must operate properly. The firearm shall have no visible external modifications except as follows:

a) Grips may be replaced or modified to fit a competitors hand or facilitate loading. Checkering, stippling, grip tape and sleeves are permitted.

B) Barrel length may not exceed 5.35 inches for semi automatic pistols and may not exceed 6 inches for revolvers.

c) Wide "target" style hammers and triggers, if included on the firearm as originally manufactured are permitted.

d) Only open sights may be used. The front sight must be a non-adjustable post sight. The rear sight may be adjustable if the firearm was originally manufactured with an adjustable sight. Sights may be replaced but they must use the original dovetail cuts and must retain the original configuration of the firearm. Fiber optic sights are permitted.

e) Barrels may be replaced with original factory or after market barrels with the same configuration and caliber of the original barrel. Modifications to the slide or frame to facilitate the use of the aftermarket barrel are not permitted.

f) Semi-Auto firearms must fire the first shot of every string in double action. Revolvers must fire ALL shots of every stage double action only.

g) Semi-Auto trigger weight may not be less than 3.5 lbs. in any mode, revolver Trigger weight may not be less than 3.5 lbs. in double action mode.

h) External finishes, either protective or decorative and other non-functional embellishments (such as engraving, inlays or inscriptions) are permitted.

i) Production holsters must be designed for draw from the top only. Holsters must cover the slide up to minimum of ½” below the ejection port in semi-autos and a minimum halfway down the cylinder on revolvers. Holster must prevent access to, or activation of, the trigger of the handgun when holstered.

The following firearm modifications are prohibited.

a) Single action only firearms.

B) Custom-shop firearms.

c) Changes in the original factory sight configuration of the firearm, front adjustable sights.

d) Peep, ghost, optical, electronic, Bo-Mar and Aristocrat type sights.

e) Thumb rests, grip or magazine extensions.

f) Compensators or ported, weighted barrels.

g) Competition, Race Type and Open Front Holsters are prohibited.

h) Milling of slide, slide ports are allowed on only factory-original approved models.

We are currently re-printing these rules for 2011, a "New" Rulebook will be available in March 2011.

NRA Pistol Department

Edited by NRAActionPistol

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about shooting production--I have an adjustable front sight 686 that is not legal. If I am going to buy a new revolver I was thinking about a 7 shot "pro" series Smith. Would that pistol be production legal? It is not a custom shop revolver. Thanks