Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL1050 question

punxsutawn

I have an RL1050 that I bought used so it was already set up. I just bolted it down to my work bench, about 1/2 inch back from the front edge, and ran 1500 rounds for 3 different calibers and everything went great! I moved the machine and when I bolted it down, I set it forward to the edge of the bench this time and I had an instant primer crushing/collapseing issue! The primers were seated deeply and started to become significantly over compressed. I looked at the original mounting location and I could see that the edge of the bench had actually been the "handle stop." Is there an adjustment for the "over stroking" of the handle or am I chasing the wrong thing? Considentaly, I moved the press back from the front edge of the table by 1/2 inch and everything seems to be working well again, but I cannot think that this would be a proper set up?? Thank you in advance for your help!!

If you only need to change the primer seating depth, there is a recessed allen wrench screw between the first and second station. Turn it counter clockwise to back it off and not seat the primers so deeply.

However, you might also have to readjust the dies as well if you were shortstroking before.

Edited by al503

Thank you for the reply. I remounted the press as I saw how I had been short stroking the press. I did retry to adjust the primer seating depth by backing off the allen screw however, I have it backed all the way out and am still over compressing the primer. They measure .119" virgin and after seating them, and then extracting them, they measure .110". I am using a new primer punch but it didn't give any better results than the old primer punch. Any suggestions? So far it seems that the only way to eliminate the issue is to short stroke the press with the dies set up appropriately. I really don't want to have the press set up that way of course!

Thanks!

OK now I got it. Thanks AL503! I was trying to adjust the wrong part. I was adjusting the primer punch using the set screw that's underneath the shell plate. I now have that adjusted right and then adjused the seating depth using the adjustment on the tool head. Thanks again!

I highly recommend getting the Dillon 1050 DVD.

Lots of little details in how the presenter does things like lower the ram to remove and reinstall the primer slider actuator arm and things like that. Pay attention not just to what is said, but how he does things.

I highly recommend getting the Dillon 1050 DVD.

Lots of little details in how the presenter does things like lower the ram to remove and reinstall the primer slider actuator arm and things like that. Pay attention not just to what is said, but how he does things.

+1. I thought the 1050 video was excellent as well.

Thanks for the advise especially since I didn't know that the DVD existed. I just put together a parts list I am ordering today so the advise is timely! You would think some of this would be in the manual but I didn't see several details I just had to kinda figure out. I've used a single stage...and still do... for 30+ years, but this is quite a different animal! Great fun and great product though!!

As a quick question prior to the DVD... How do I remove the left over primers without making a mess like I did last night?

As a quick question prior to the DVD... How do I remove the left over primers without making a mess like I did last night?

I'm not sure but I don't know of a good way to do this. I only switch between small rifle and small pistol so if there is some overlap, it's really not that big a deal. If you're switching from small to large, I would just try to use as many as possible or count the primers as you get close to switching over.

Thanks! I'll try to count a little better next time for sure. You just described the exact problem I have. I'm switching from Large to Small and didn't quite know how to remove the left over primers. I think next time, I'll just prime extra brass and use it the next time I need it. I appreciate all the help!