Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing tube from JP handguard?

Pro2AInPA

I need to remove the tube portion from my JP handguard to add a rail section.

However, when I tried to remove the Torx screws holding the tube on, the T10 bit broke. Those screws must be on with AT LEAST red loctite.

How much heat is going to take to get those screws out?

Edited by Pro2AInPA

Heat gun till it smokes. Don't use a torch.

Kidding aside, start with 30 seconds of a 1000-1500w heat gun. Add 15 seconds while trying to budge it each time. Put the long end of the torx wrench in the screw so you can't get too much torque on it. Try that first. Get more aggressive as needed.

I need to remove the tube portion from my JP handguard to add a rail section.

You sure?

If you're trying to get a backing plate or t-nut in there, I've never needed to pull off the tube. I've had great luck using a tiny bit of contact cement to stick the t-nut to something long and thin (I use a slat from an old set of venetian blinds :-0 )

Stick the nut to the slat, slide the slat under the tube until it lines up, start the fastener and pull the slat out. easy-peasy.

I'm with jakers,...I never had to take the handguard off to add swivels or a rail.

But I just took it off to swap out for the extended guard. The screws (from JP) were in with blue loctite.

I have a good vise and quality torx bits. They came out with steady pressure and no heat.