Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10rd mags are hard to seat when full

S&W627shooter

I have a M&P 9 with 10-round magazines. The 10th round is hard to get in the magazine, and they do not seat into the gun very easily if you have the slide forward. Here is the issue I am having. In competition, when I am putting a full magazine into the gun that already has a round "in the pipe," the magazine does not want to seat without smacking it. I found that I was actually hitting the mag twice to make sure it was seated. The bad part is that the second hit on the mag would actually knock the slide out of battery. It took three stages for me to find out why I kept getting a "dead trigger."

So here is my question, How do I modify the magazine so that the 10th round is not under so much pressure?

Does the follower have legs that hit the bottom floor plate when the mag is full?

If so, how much can I trim off the legs to give the last round more room?

If not, can the big plastic floor plate be modified to allow the spring more room?

I know that the spring could be cut, but that is a last resort.

Thanks,

Chris

Does the follower have legs that hit the bottom floor plate when the mag is full?

You haven't taken a mag apart to look? It only takes a few seconds...

If you were knocking it out of battery, what sort of recoil spring are you running? :surprise:

You've found the joys of the "new" followers. Not only is it harder to get the 10th round in but it is so tight that it is difficult to seat the mag on a closed slide (doing 10+1). It also drags the slide and can keep it from going into battery. There are some pictures in this thread that show how someone trimmed the legs off the follower.

You've found the joys of the "new" followers. Not only is it harder to get the 10th round in but it is so tight that it is difficult to seat the mag on a closed slide (doing 10+1). It also drags the slide and can keep it from going into battery. There are some pictures in this thread that show how someone trimmed the legs off the follower.

That did the trick! I trimmed 1/8" from the bottom rear "leg" of the follower, and now the last round has a little wiggle room. The mags still take a little pressure to seat, but it's alot better. I can even use the UPLULA for all ten rounds. Previously only 9 would go in with the loader, and the tenth had to be squeezed in by hand.

I hope trimming the rear leg of the follower does not cause any feed issues in the future, but time will tell.

• 1 month later...