Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ejector broke, why?

fastarget

New tri top 9mm with 950 rounds, shot an IDPA match with it yesterday and it ran great........

this morning I started stripping it to clean it and the ejector is sheared off , the whole tang.......

So, why did it happen and why so soon, does STI use mim ejectors, the metal looked porous.

Why did it keep running, it did not miss a beat.

I fitted an EGW blank, basically copied the ejector on my wifes Benny 9mm, it is throwing them out at about 30 degrees right out the center of the port. I also took great care to relieve it underneath so a magazine does not hit it, nor will loaded rounds in the mag upon insertion......

anything else I should be looking doing?.......

Sounds like you fitted the new ejector correctly. As for the broken ejector still working... it will but not eject the cartridge as early and very possibly at the angle that will be best. Extended ejectors get the cartridge out early to clear the port and area for the new upcoming round. As to why the first one broke, maybe it wasn't clearanced correctly and the mags were hitting it during reloads.

Pat

Pat,

Thanks for the info. Lucky I had a blank to use, one of my high round edge 40 broke one about 6 month ago, and it kept running well. Both guns so far have broken ejectors and no signs what so ever. Anyway, when I ordered the egw ejector for the edge I bought a spare.....used it today....

Should I be keeping spares around?

Can't answer your question, but I have a Para P16-40 and the extractor broke off during a match. It ran flawlessly. I got home, began cleaning the gun and noticed the broken extractor...tip broke off flush with the front edge. Replaced it before using it again, but when I didn't know it was broken...it ran good. :wacko: Go figure.

So, why did it happen and why so soon, does STI use mim ejectors, the metal looked porous.

Could be that it broke because you hit it with the magazine when you did a slide-lock reload. Lock the slide back, and see if the mag or the top round will hit the bottom of the ejector when pushing hard on the bottom of the mag.

D

Could be that it broke because you hit it with the magazine when you did a slide-lock reload. Lock the slide back, and see if the mag or the top round will hit the bottom of the ejector when pushing hard on the bottom of the mag.

D

I had not checked the new gun for that in all honesty, it was new......But when I fitted this ejector I did check the top of the mag and with dummy rounds in the mag...I can see a "little" light between them

Should I be keeping spares around?

I don't think you need to keep a spare around but just as sure as I said that , Murphy (who is a woman) will prove me wrong. As Extreme said, make sure you aren't hitting the bottom of the ejector with the magazine when you do a hard reload with the slide locked back. Also, make sure that the slide is not rubbing the new ejector anywhere.

Pat

with loaded mags yesterday I was pushing hard on the mag while it was inserted and checking the gap, is there a better way? I might blue it and try a few reloads............The gun feels smoother than before cycling it at the moment.

with loaded mags yesterday I was pushing hard on the mag while it was inserted and checking the gap, is there a better way? I might blue it and try a few reloads............The gun feels smoother than before cycling it at the moment.

Usually a good visual check will do. You can put some clay on the bottom of the ejector and see if you cut it in half with a reload. You might not have had the necessary clearance under the old ejector.

Pat

Yeah there is a better way....ram it up there hard (with the slide locked back), like you would when you are running and gunning. Like you suggest, blue the underside of the ejector and then see if you have a transfer to the top round (or look for a witness mark on the brass). You could also use a piece of tape on the brass and see if there is a little mark or tear. Simply pushing hard may not represent real world conditions where you would ram it up there hard.

D

[edited for typo]

Edited by ExtremeShot