Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip during mag & slide release?

brianr34

I have a G17 RTF2 that I use for IDPA. Based on my medium hand size, I need to adjust my grip when I press the mag release and slide release.

I feel I can do the adjustment fairly quickly, but sometimes when I regrip after hitting the slide release, I notice by grip is not exactly right.

Just curious, how important is it to be able to maintain one grip, which changing mags and dropping the slide? I have even considered switching to a Gen 4 or maybe a M&P to try and improve this situation.

Moving your grip to perform the reload is not a big deal, many of us do it and run quick reloads. For the slide lock try hitting it with your support thumb as you come back into your shooting grip.

+1

I'd bet a really high percentage of us (like 75-85%) have to move our grip during reloads or hitting the slide release with the strong thumb. Even if someone wants to use the strong thumb on the slide release, I still think being able to smoothly hit it with the support thumb is a good skill to have. R

• 3 weeks later...

One of the things I did correctly last season was release my grip to complete a mag change and slide release. The gun just fit and could be flicked and come back to a nice front sight. Medium hands. Finger groove in left grip panel (don't know if that ever helped).

Everything else I sucked at.