Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli SBE questions

Subotai

Hey all. I am looking to get a good semi for 3 gun. It seems very hard to get an M2 21" right now, I've heard up to 60 days out. That's not a big deal here in VT because there doesn't seem to be many matches until the spring. However, my co-worker has a 26" SBE that he would sell for $600. I am tempted to buy it and have the barrel cut to 21" and cut for chokes. Is this a worthwhile endeavor, or should I wait for the new M2. Played with a 930SPX in a local shop. I wasn't thrilled with the balance compared to the Benelli. Any ideas, comments, or suggestions are appreciated.

Jason

That's a screaming deal. I bought mine for around $650 and have been running it in 3gun for about 6 months. It is definitely not holding me back. It should already be cut for chokes, I'd leave it at 26" and sell it when you find something better cheap. You could probably turn a profit on it pretty easily. That's my plan for my 24", although I may just keep it for a backup gun.

At any rate, you might find this thread interesting.

If the gun is in any kind of decent shape $600 is a real bargain and a duck / turkey hunter will snap it up quickly.

The SBE may not cycle well with 1 oz target loads or other “low recoil” shell, but the old standard 1 1/8 oz, 3 DE (1200 fps) loads should run all day. (BTW - Mine functions perfectly with Remington's Low Recoil 1oz slugs)

If you cut the barrel you probably will not be able to have it re-threaded for the same choke tubes (lack of installation tooling available to the gunsmith trade) and will have to go with Tru-Choke style tubes

You will end up at 22.75 if you cut the barrel at a rib support. As mentioned you won't end up with Benelli chokes usually although some barrels can be redone in the Benelli choke thread and Briley does it. Most SBEs will function anything around 3 dram 1 1/8 once of shot which is what most folks use. If not change out the main spring for a standard spring which can be obtained from Brownells for like $8.00. SBE's are just great for 3-gun and at that price I wuld jump on it...matter of fact WHO has this gun?? :roflol: