Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feed Question with low PF loads

rick539

Has anyone had feed problems with low PF loads with their M&P. I reload and have making some 9mm loads around PF130 for my son who also shoots. His G34 handles them well with a stock recoil spring but my 9L has freq FTF with them. His weapon has 1000's of rounds thru it and mine is new. Should I consider making rounds with a PF of 140 for my weapon until it breaks in or should I consider going with a lighter recoil spring say a 13#. We are using our weapons mostly for competition so shooting the lower PF rounds are desirable.

What is the load you are using? Include bullet type and OAL ? Some M&Ps have been reported to have a tight or short chamber. mine has run about any light loads, and has only failed to extract a couple times.

Has anyone had feed problems with low PF loads with their M&P. I reload and have making some 9mm loads around PF130 for my son who also shoots. His G34 handles them well with a stock recoil spring but my 9L has freq FTF with them. His weapon has 1000's of rounds thru it and mine is new. Should I consider making rounds with a PF of 140 for my weapon until it breaks in or should I consider going with a lighter recoil spring say a 13#. We are using our weapons mostly for competition so shooting the lower PF rounds are desirable.

Since I starting reloading a couple of years ago, and since I started reloading for practical shooting competition, I've learned that I have to work up a load for a particular gun and the recoil spring I'm using in a particular gun. For example, the loads I worked up for my XD Tactical will not work in my XD Serice model, and the loads I worked up for the XD Tactical with a 14lb spring will not work with the factory spring in the XD Tactical.

You have to do a lot of experimenting, and carefully document everything. There are those that probably don't agree with me, but I wouldn't go by somebody else's overall length. Find the overall length and powder charge that works in your gun and will meet the power factor you desire. I wouldn't put in a lighter recoil spring just to make a paticular load work in your gun. Put in a lighter recoil spring because you like the feel of the gun when you shoot it.

I'm no expert but I hope that my ideas help It sounds like you have some reloading experience so I probably don't need to go into the dangers of to short of a overall length, and too much powder. As always in reloading, start light, and work your way up to something that works.

Chris

Gainesville, FL

A lighter recoil spring could actually make it worse since it will be closing with less force. Does the gun lock back on an empty mag now?

I'd bump the load up to 135-140PF, and see what happens before changing springs...the felt difference will be insignificant.

I know mine (M&P Pro 5") runs nicely in that range. A lot of folks also find their G34s run best in that same ballpark. My load for my M&P Pro averages 137PF and we tried them in a friend's G17 and G34....the 17 was about the same PF as my Pro, and the 34 was a bit higher (can't recall, but think it was about 140PF, which makes sense). He shot them alongside Atlanta Arms & Ammo 147gr loads and my handload feels softer, but is actually faster...in other words, more than soft enough. R

I would look at the OAL of your reloads. I've had 6 m&p's and found that some of them prefer a little longer OAL. If they were a little short they seemed to hit the ramp and point more vertically when approaching the chamber and then hitting the top of the chamber and thus slowing down the lockup speed and often not fully locking up. (1/4" open). Hope that makes sense.

Also, we run a 13# spring in both my brothers 9mm pro and my 40 pro 5". Something were seeing is the stock springs varied in stiffness (going by feel mind you) and when we switched to a 13# spring that lock up was definitely softer like G-ManBart said, but with the min pf rounds it seemed like the stock spring almost was too stiff and not letting slide run its full range of motion or something and not getting the return (lockup) speed it needed. Switching to the lighter spring on more than one occasion has totally cured that issue.

Hope some of this helps!

Nate

Thanks all, I was talking to another friend of mine who competes. He recommended either shooting a little higher PF or even factory loads for a couple of thousand rounds and then start tuning with reloads at different PF's. He kind of verified what rentcollector said in that some of the factory springs come what feels like stiffer springs, but tend to soften up after a good breakin period. Putting new sights on so this will give me a chance to get use to them and the feel of the weapon.