Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Power Pistol

res45

What's your experience with the powder,I want be shooting any matches or anything with it just general shooting. I've never used the powder in 9mm,38/357 loads but I got a chance to get a 4 lb. jug for $35 and couldn't pass it up. Thanks for all your input.

Power Pistol is a great powder for plinking loads. It's a bit loud at times, but I have loaded it in 40 S&W, 38/357, 45 ACP, and even 38 super (it didn't work so well in the super though). In my 38/357, around 5.6 grains and a 158 LRN is a quite nice to shoot. I have loaded the 357 up to around 8.0 with a 158 JHP, very loud, very flashy, but very fast. I'd say buy it. Look at Alliants website, they have all the info for it.

Power Pistol is a great powder for plinking loads. It's a bit loud at times, but I have loaded it in 40 S&W, 38/357, 45 ACP, and even 38 super (it didn't work so well in the super though). In my 38/357, around 5.6 grains and a 158 LRN is a quite nice to shoot. I have loaded the 357 up to around 8.0 with a 158 JHP, very loud, very flashy, but very fast. I'd say buy it. Look at Alliants website, they have all the info for it.

I use 5.1gr. of PP behind a 124 gr. Berry's plated (9mm). Very good load. I've read that 6gr. behind a 124/125gr. jacketed bullet is an outstanding target load.

Chuck

Thanks for the reply guys,I haven't used any new powder in quiet a few years been using the old standbys,I've read that it can be pretty loud and flashy but that's not a problem since I shoot in my back yard. I now have to gather up some load data from various sources to use with my jacketed,cast and plated bullet.

I mostly use 115 gr. plated RN and FN bullets in my 9mm and 150 to 160 gr. cast SWC and RN bullets in my 38 and 357 loads that I cast myself.

Edited by res45

Power Pistol is an excellent powder for full power loads especially with the heavier 147 gr. bullet in 9mm. It meters very well. The only minus is that sice it's a relatively slow burning powder and you do see more muzzle flash at sunset or at night.

Edited by TonyT

Power Pistol is an excellent powder for full power loads especially with the heavier 147 gr. bullet in 9mm. It meters very well. The only minus is that sice it's a relatively slow burning powder and you do see more muzzle flash at sunset or at night.

According to Alliant, it was developed for the 9mm and 40 S&W.