Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR-15 and primers that pop out now and again.

M ammo

I've heard that CCI primers are the largest diameter of all the primers and that they are the go-to primer for older brass. That's what I've heard....never google'd it though.

You could always glue a small neodynium magnet in your lower and it would easily catch the loose primer. Probably a better way to keep it out of the way than hoping it would work its way through a hole drilled in your lower.

I had a primer fall out of a PRIV factory round and get jammed in between the upper and bcg. Had to bang down through the barrel with a rod and very large hammer to get it to move. Shaved a line of metal off the upper in the process. Still shoots fine and you can't see it. But I know it is there. Ughhhh.

I've heard that CCI primers are the largest diameter of all the primers and that they are the go-to primer for older brass. That's what I've heard....never google'd it though.

You could always glue a small neodynium magnet in your lower and it would easily catch the loose primer. Probably a better way to keep it out of the way than hoping it would work its way through a hole drilled in your lower.

Sounds crazy,,, but I did drill a hole in the lower,, under the trigger,,, in the front end,, I dropped 5 or 6 primers in the lower,, shooook it around,, and they all fell out,, with no problem,,

• 2 weeks later...

Federal switched from old to new brass. Old brass is marked .223 FC and looks like its etched in the cases. Thats great hard brass. New brass is marked FC and lookes stamped. Some years ago, 2004-5 federal made a decision to switch to a softer brass. Some say this is an attempt to prevent reloading as a "lawyerism", guys gun blows up with reloads, claims factory etc.

I have been shooting AR's in HP for a long time and the best powder i have found time and time again is RL 15. 24.5 with 55's to 80's works great. Gives near max velocity with 80's and 77's. This was the AMU load for some time after N135 went to a faster burn in 98-2000.

I think that remington 71/2 primers are also a little harder. Stay away from standard remington to avoid slam fires in your gun.

my .02