Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Learning to Shoot

BoldasLions

• 2 weeks later...

I just now read your thread. Very Nice.

I wanted to comment on the TT thread.

Here is what I noticed, there are A and GM shooters that get away with lower points with faster speed, especially with Classifiers. In big matches, you can really spot the GMs and A shooters at the top of their game. In my experience, there can be a huge difference in matches and classifiers. Just last week I heard someone say 'classifiers are hero to zero stages.' It is true that you can get a great classifiers score and trash a match. As soon as I gave up the hero to zero mentality for classifiers my major match performance improved.

Additonally, once your are at the level of TT, TGO or TB; things become different than those trying to achieve a higher level of excellence. They have their mechanics down so well it is their nature, they then focus on the BE Zen aspect of the game. TT's advice is so true for me. I may stumble in some mechanics but I really try to be in the moment for each shot.

It only took about five phone conversations with BE for me to understand what trigger control really meant and I went out and practiced it over and over again.

Again, I think this thread of yours is inspiring. Keep it up. IMHO to get where you want to be faster, take a class from a top GM; Manny, Seeklander, TT, Max.

Big Update:

• Looks like moving to NC is the next big step in this pursuit of shooting.

• If anyone knows of any shooting related jobs, it would be great to hear from you!

• NC matches and shooters will provide a better challenge and opportunity to grow.

• 1 month later...

Congratulation to the Top 10 at SS Nationals! Hopefully someday you'll see my name in there!

OVERALL

01) Dave Sevigny (GM) 977.8292 (100.00%)

02) Rob Leatham (GM) 960.5585 (98.23%)

03) Nils Jonasson (M) 934.9123 (95.61%)

04) Todd Jarrett (GM) 931.4245 (95.25%)

05) Phil Strader (GM) 918.4288 (93.93%)

06) Ted Puente (M) 916.8913 (93.77%)

07) Shanon Smith (M) 898.1105 (91.85%)

08) Emanuel Bragg (U) 893.0135 (91.33%)

09) Taran Butler (GM) 885.0973 (90.52%)

10) Eric Fuson (M) 857.2331 (87.67%)

That is beautiful... way to pretty to be used in a competition!

Haha, That lasted about a week! 1 month in and it looks like it's 5 years old.

Edited by BoldasLions

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Long needed updated.

Training:

Took a class from Todd Jarret, so now I'm basically relearning all the fundamentals in the manner in which he taught. Everything he said hit me like a revelation. I'm ready to take my game to the next level. I highly recommend his classes, it was the best money I've put towards shooting.

Todd used Rebecca Jones as a good example of footwork/box entry & exiting! Wow, I never realized just how big of a deal footwork is until Todd's class.

There was also a huge emphasis on weak and strong hand shooting. Todd offered some great techniques, that have helped make him the best strong and weak hand shooter in the country.

A Little Person Revelation:

I realized today during dry-fire that if my shoulders are relaxed, my transitions are much FASTER and ACCURATE! Huge improvement over the tense aggressive strong headed approach. This is just one of many new parts of my shooting game that I can focus on and develop into a subconscious skill.

Equipment News:

Benny Hills Tactical Mossberg 930 has been running great! Totally Reliable with various shell loads& lengths! Benny is a master gunsmith! The only draw back to Mossberg's 930 design so far has been the small bolt release. The lifter gate also may need to be upgraded.

Building a 6inch Limited Gun, looking for a new gunsmith!

Looking for a used 38 SC 2011 Limited Gun, for 3-gun and Steel Challenge.

Looking for a reliable used SV 38SC Open Gun. Currently shooting a Cameron Custom, but sadly haven't heard from them after 6 calls and 4 emails... hmmm i hope they are ok!

3-Gun:

I've stepped into a couple 3gun and USPSA Rifle matches. Things have been going well, been placing within the top 3 overall consistently!

Gotta work on those weak hand shotgun shell reloads!

Youtube:

Planning on making some fun "How To" videos, when I get the chance!

Edited by BoldasLions

• 4 months later...

Training:

Been stepping up dryfire training!

Lots of work on footwork!

Recently received training from Lanny Bassham, I believe it's taking my game to the next level.

Also took a class from Bob Vogel, what a great guy!

All in all, I see myself rocketing forward in improvement!

Matches:

Plan on shooting SS Nationals.

Maybe even Limited and Open.

4 other major matches are on the table too!

These are all steps forward in the process of improving!

People:

Jim Anglin is building my 6inch limited gun! He's a great guy to work with!

Met Greg Morando the other day, He's the inventor of various Glock magazine products. Top notch guy! GTUL for the WIN!

Spoke w/ Derek Janowicz, he's replacing my cracked Aftec for free, great guy and customer service!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...