Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Shots Or Double Taps In IDPA?

Duane Thomas

ok, now i'm confused, the range i shoot at, said, minimun of two hits per target are required, and you start out with ten points per target and are deducted depending what your two best zone shots are, head being zero deduction, and center hit being a zero deduction also, and so on as you go further outside the center zero deduct zone,,,,, are there different rules being applied as you shoot at different ranges?

Poor misunderstood Duane :)

Actually I have shot the type of stage that Duane is describing, and have even used them from time to time in our local IDPA matches at the NRA.

Normally a course will require you to fire a certain number of rounds at each target, say 2, 3 or 6. However the course description can also simply say, "Egage all targets, all targets must be nutralized to score." If this is the case then each target scores a maximun of five points and four points must be present on the target for it to be considered nutralized.

I do not normally do this for an entire course of fire but sometimes I have incorperated extreamly fast moving targets with minimal exposure time and require that they only be nutralized rather than hit twice.

And, BTW, the answer to Duane's question is that unless the shots are very difficult it is almost always better to fire one aimed shot rather than two quick sloppy ones.

Tim  

Boy this is an old thread, i wouldn't have read it had i not been most of the way through the second page when i said. "this looks familiar as heck" and looked at the date.

I have shot a couple of stages like this (one at the tyler county (under previous admin, and a couple at morgantown before i quit shooting there) they requred "target to be neutralized" so i shot one round each, along with every other shooter who knew the rule book

This was an OLD match and i wouldn't go by one match like that as an example. use nationals... or the WV match :-) the latter of which i'm sure was run by the book! can't testify for nationals.

What Tim modestly fails to mention is that at the IDPA State Championships run under this rule, he came in second by some minuscule fraction....which is a hell of an accomplishment when you figure out he literally fired twice as many rounds as the one guy who beat him!

• 2 weeks later...