Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's a good combo for 16" AR

TLD

I used to load high power loads for my 20" NM rifle. I am about out of Varget and only have a few hundred 75 Hornady BTHPs left so I'm not heavily invested in anything and will be making some purchases anyway.

I'll be using Remington 7 1/2 primers and LC cases.

From my readings here, I'm thinking that a 68 BTHP and a slightly faster powder than Varget might be the best option for a shorter barrel. My goal is to maximize BC and velocity.

What works best for you in a 16" 1/7 twist barrel?

I really, really like TAC. It's the go to powder for heavy .224 bullets for sure. I've given up on Varget and shoot TAC exclusively now.

I have been a varget loader for years but I just am not getting the velocity that I now want and I am thinking about moving to Tac.

In my few experiments with Tac I didn't see immediate results so I shelved the project.

I love varget's temperature stability. Is Tac temperature tolerant?

What charge weights with 68-69 and 75-77's work for you?

THX

I really, really like TAC. It's the go to powder for heavy .224 bullets for sure. I've given up on Varget and shoot TAC exclusively now.

I have been a varget loader for years but I just am not getting the velocity that I now want and I am thinking about moving to Tac.

In my few experiments with Tac I didn't see immediate results so I shelved the project.

THX

It's not famous for it (i.e. marketed as having that feature), but there was an article in american rifleman about temperature sensitivity. He got remarkably little change in velocity from 20 degrees to 70 degrees F IIRC. Wish I could find the article, but I moved since it came out and can't find it if I even remembered to keep that one.

THX

68gr Hornady 23.8gr

69gr Sierra MK 24.0gr

77gr Sierra MK 23.5gr

Loaded to mag length of 2.260".

TAC is smooth metering, clean burning, economically viable, temperature insensitive and offers velocity Varget only dreams about. I was a Varget addict for all rifles until someone gave me a pound of TAC to try.