Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Dot Sites on a Witness Match

whittlebeast

If you have the newer Witness Match with the Novak style sights, I recommend picking up Henning's new fiber optic front sight made specifically for the new Matches. That's for the front sight.

For the rear sight, drop by your local hobby store and pick up some racing orange, insignia red, insignia yellow, or whatever color catches your eye. :-) The enamels are usually brighter than the acrylics, but occasionally, I'm surprised. Shake the paint well before using. Using a toothpick, dip the tip into the paint, and then put a tiny drop of paint each of the round indents on the rear sight. To do the job right, put a drop of primer first, let dry completely, and then put a drop of your color choice.

You don't need a lot of paint, so it may seem pretty expensive to pay $4 for 0.5 oz of paint. The alternative is find somebody who does models, ask really nicely at a hobby shop that assembles RC cars and planes.

While you are waiting for the Henning fiber optic front sight, you can also paint your front sight with the extra paint. :-)

Oh wow! You must have one of the older Witness Matches with the Bomar style sights. That would mean that there is no accessories rail on the gun as well, right?

Is your gun a .40? I'd gladly trade my .40 slide with the Novak style sights for your .40 slide with the Bomar style sights. I've also got the Henning fiber optic sights for the match in the mail which I'll install when I get home this Sunday. Let me know what color you want the round indents to be, and I'll paint them for you before I send them out for trade. If you want to trade barrels too, I can do that as well. ( Can you tell that I really would prefer to have those Bomar sights? :-) )

The downside of the Tanfoglio's despite their amazing bang for buck is the custom dovetail sized used on the rear sights. Finding replacement rear sights other than OEM sights is very hard (at least here in the US). The new Novak style sights have a narrower dovetail than the the older Bomar style sights. Although the sights (old and new) may have LPA stamped on them, I've yet to find some LPA sights that match the dovetail widths. As I recall, one Henning's long term projects is to design and manufacture better rear sights for the guns.

Thanks for the reply.

The rear sites are a flat U shaped plate. Indents would have to be added. I am hoping that I can locate sites off some other version of the gun that may bolt on.

I'm assuming you have the fixed LPA sight (see link below)? You can get the adjustable LPA sight from Henning, which is what my 2008 Match came with.

http://www.henningshootsguns.com/shop/sights.html

I have the same cruddy sights on mine. Tiny black front and a rear with no dots or no indentations. They are pretty bad!

After doing some comparisons to other sight sets a temporary solution I have found is to open up the rear sight a few hundredths.

The issue, as I see it, is there is not enough light passing through the rear sight. When visual acuity fades with, for example low light conditions or with age, one may have trouble resolving, especially at close distance, the tiny light bars perceived between the outside of the front sight and the rear sight inside edges. I find that I have no trouble picking up "combat type" sights on typical weapons because they offer a much wider gap in the rear.

Before I experimented with this I though a larger front sight may have been the answer. I am not sure, in my case, it is needed anymore.

You can re-black the areas you file with sharpie or paint. I have used sharpie many times on worn sights at the range. It will wear away slowly though.

Hopefully somebody will make a sight for these things soon as it seems it is becoming quite an epidemic.

Good Luck.

Interesting, the EEA site claims that the Match comes with adjustable rear sights, but apparently they only also ship it with fixed sights. Too bad if the rear sights don't come with the indents that you can mark up with some brighter paints.

Hopefully somebody will make a sight for these things soon as it seems it is becoming quite an epidemic.

I don't understand what you mean by this? The adjustable LPA is a pretty good sight (which you can get from Henning or EAA) and Henning now makes a fiber front that's skinnier (so you get that gap of light on the sides) to match the shorter LPA adjustable rear sight..

The adjustable sights on my .40 look like the Novak "Plain Black" (http://www.novaksights.com/products/sights/index.html) , but are adjustable up/down and left/right and are stamped LPA. (You can see my gun here with the Henning flat trigger installed and the taller Henning fiber optic front sight.) On first glance, my sights looked to be just a flat U. On closer inspection, I found the indents where I ended up putting light gray dots. If you are not seeing the indents, it sounds like LPA decided to not put them in on newer models for the Matches with the rail.

I don't understand what you mean by this? The adjustable LPA is a pretty good sight (which you can get from Henning or EAA) and Henning now makes a fiber front that's skinnier (so you get that gap of light on the sides) to match the shorter LPA adjustable rear sight..

"Epidemic" is overstated, a bit of attempted humor.

However, I have heard and read many comments about how bad the stock sights are. Seems suitability is subjective based on the end user and his intent. Perhaps there are some, like you, that are happy with the sights. There are others who do not like them.

There are many makes of weapons that have a variety of aftermarket options, EAA/Tanfoglio is not among them.

It certainly would not hurt to have some different sight options for those who desire them.

I think Skydiver and I have the same rear sight. The sight that used to come standard on the Match. Look at the link to Henning's sight for sight options and also pics of the sights we have..

You're talking about this sight, are you not Skydiver?

T10070.png

Edited by Nealio

I think Skydiver and I have the same rear sight. The sight that used to come standard on the Match. Look at the link to Henning's sight for sight options and also pics of the sights we have..

You're talking about this sight, are you not Skydiver?

T10070.png

Yup.

• 2 weeks later...