Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm mag pouch?

blue

That depends on the type of magazine. Conventional design Colt mags, and most other 9mm mags that use a spacer in back to move the rounds forward (Wilson, Tripp) are the exact same size and external shape as .45 mags. OTOH the Metalform/Springfield 9-rounders are considerably shorter front-to-rear, and will wiggle around in a normal 1911 single stack mag pouch, because the front of the tube has been bevelled (for lack of a better term) in along its length in front so it can then be bent back out again at top to form a sort of "pre-feed ramp" that catches the top round in the mag, as it's being pushed forward by the slide, before it can nosedive very much, and then bounces it up and off the pre-feed ramp, up and onto the real feed ramp and thus into the chamber.

That depends on the type of magazine. Conventional design Colt mags, and most other 9mm mags that use a spacer in back to move the rounds forward (Wilson, Tripp) are the exact same size and external shape as .45 mags. OTOH the Metalform/Springfield 9-rounders are considerably shorter front-to-rear, and will wiggle around in a normal 1911 single stack mag pouch, because the front of the tube has been bevelled (for lack of a better term) in along its length in front so it can then be bent back out again at top to form a sort of "pre-feed ramp" that catches the top round in the mag, as it's being pushed forward by the slide, before it can nosedive very much, and then bounces it up and off the pre-feed ramp, up and onto the real feed ramp and thus into the chamber.

thanks for the detailed response

My Springfield Front Ramp 9mm magazines fit just fine in my Ready Tac 1911 Kydex magazine carriers, no discernable difference from rear spacer 9mm, .38 Super, .45, or .22 ACE. They fit just fine TODAY at a match. No doubt Duane is looking at a different brand.

My Springfield Front Ramp 9mm magazines fit just fine in my Ready Tac 1911 Kydex magazine carriers, no discernable difference from rear spacer 9mm, .38 Super, .45, or .22 ACE. They fit just fine TODAY at a match. No doubt Duane is looking at a different brand.

I've never heard them called Springfield Front Ramp mags - though that would certainly be a great name for them. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that I've always gotten them from Metalform. It's the same mag, assuming you're talking about the 9-round mag normally sold with Springfield 9mm 1911s - Metalform makes them for Springfield and also sells them under their own marque. In my Blade-Tech mag pouches the Metalform/Springfield 9-rounder can be wiggled noticeably front to rear, and usually winds up leaning slightly to the side in the pouch. Though admittedly this is more of an esthetic concern than a real functional problem. I actually had Blade-Tech make me a couple of double mag pouches molded around the "Front Ramp" mags and they work great - of course, my "normal" 1911 mags won't fit into the pouches at all. :lol:

Jim, are you referring to the 9 or 10-round version of this mag? On the 9-rounder the front of the tube has been scalloped in along the front (similar to the "lines" we see of the sides of 9mm/.38 Super/.40/10mm mags) then bent back out are the top front, thus the front to rear dimensions of the mag are considerably shorter. However the Metalform 10-rounder preserves the front curve of a standard 1911 mag, then just below the top front of the tube dimples in a bit and then back out to create the pre-feed ramp. Other than that, the 10-rounder pretty much duplicates the external shape and dimensions of a "normal" 1911 mag.

I was referring to the 9 round Metalform magazine that comes with 9mm Springfields. It has a deep crease up the front to space the short 9mms to the back of the tube, and has a little lip bent over at the top to form the "front ramp." It was supposedly designed with input from Rob Leatham.

If you measure it front to back or just lay it up alongside a conventional 1911 magazine, yes, it is shorter. But it fills the magazine well in the gun and the Ready Tac carrier by contact with the curved front of the tube on either side of the crease. The crease and the shorter length do not affect the actual contact areas. Apparently Blade Tech fits differently, depending on very front edge contact.

I got some of the first 10 round Metalform 9mms and was much surprised to see that they retained the old Colt style rear spacer, even though they have the "front ramp" contour. They do not work nearly as well in my Springfield based gun although they are ok in my Colt. So I shoot 9+1 with the SA and 10+1 with the Colt.