Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie Bullet question

Pathfinder1

Newbie question here. I have a Dillon 550b that Ive been loading 9mm for shooting bullseye. I've just order a conversion setup for .45acp 1911 that I'd like to learn and shoot USPSA with. The first .45 acp 1000count bullets I'd like to load, Id like to be the most likely ones that USPSA shooters mostly use. What is the bullet mostly or always used? Not so much brand (although) that's good to know too, but what type. I was thinking... is it semi wad cutters 200gn. On the other hand I was thinking maybe I should just get some 230 grain ball and start to load the .45 with that for a base line of accuracy on the brand new pistol thats also coming about the same time as the .45acp conversion equipment gets here from Brian. Anyway all that being said, I like to hear from some veteran USPSA, IPSC and IDPA shooters for suggestions and advice of what to load first with action shooting in mind . Some reloading recipes would be welcome too. Thanks. Pathfinder1

I would suggest a 230 or 200 gr round nose for great reliability. The SWC makes a nice hole, but I'd rather have better feeding.

I shoot lead, or Moly coated lead because its much cheaper than .45 FMJ or JHP.

Get a few of each and see what you like.

BBI - www.blackbulletsinternational.com has sample packs of 200gr RN and SWC and 230gr RN.

I currently use 4.2 grains of clays for 200gr bullets, and 3.8gr for 230.

I agree with DW, the wadcutters are not the best feeding bullets for reliability. I started with and will always run 230 rn bullets. As far as recipes, try a search and there should be a zillion of them on this site, Welcome and enjoy shooting the single stack. :cheers:

Lots of powder datain the search area, basically you want a fast bulky clean enough powder.

To decide on a bullet you need to examine what is the most important features, USPSA is a different game than Bullseye so has differnt priorities. Of the top of my head I have listed the features in order of most importance.

1. Reliability (you'll find a 200 gr or 230 gr rn is best) this is also a sizing QC issue.

2. Accurate enough, ( generally not a problem with anything but plated, as long as you stay mainstream weight)

3. Clean enough, some hard cast/ lube/ powder choices can gum up a gun and not let you finish a major match.

4. Customer service

5. Price, this is gonna range from a local caster on the low end to Moly coated in the middle, to jacketed on the higher end.

I flipped flopped on price /service. There are some small shops making great bullets, but they can leave you hanging for months at a time, there is also a well known FMJ maker that treats competition shooters as an afterthought to be supplied only in between gov contracts, again they leave people hanging. So I want a bullet maker that keeps up with demand, and throws some sponsorship dollars at the sports I shoot. You also want one that ships Post office flat rate box, dont order 1000 bullets order a flat rate box full you'll save a bunch on shipping.

So the companies that are winners in my book are Precision (Moly), Montanna Gold (jacketed), and Precision Delta (jacketed).

For practice, the lead 200 SWC is hard to beat. I like them for cost and local availability(I've got 2 good local casters). I also have a local smith tune my 45's, and I don't have feeding trouble. I used Berry's 200 flat points for some matches, but most I use the 200SWC.

Lead is more of a hassle, but with it's cheaper cost, I shoot it more. In a multi day match, I clean the pistol every night, and always go to a match with 2 clean pistols.

I used to buy 225 SWC out of Nebraska for bowling pins, but they are gone now, if anyone knows who makes a like bullet, let me know, if they were still around, I'd still shoot them for pins and action shooting.

I can't believe the cost of 230 FMJ's :(

This is a big help for me. Price really plays a role . If I could afford it $$ wise, I would use 230g Round nose jacketed, but that's $ prohibitive . So taking into consideration what all four of you said...I'm wondering if a lead 200g round nose might be a compromise regarding price / accuracy / reliability. The 1911 I ordered is an RIA Match....I know, I know, but it's the only puppy in the pound I could afford right now and it actually got very good reviews for it's price point.

I'm thinking I should definitely start with using round nose in this pistol until I see how it feeds. Again, after what you've all said, I'm wondering if the round nose lead 200g lead might be the most inexpensive and reliable (as in RN) for the gun. Byu the way I'll probably order online today for a thousand of something. I'm trying to get into quanity/1000 for around $80. Never shot lead. I know it's more cleanup but supposedly cheaper. And Joe, what's the accuracy problem with plated? Anyway, let me know what you think about all that if your so inclined,and if you can push yourselves away from the pumpkin pie, HA. So, thanks for your help and feedback, and I hope you are all having a happy Thanksgiving. Thanks again, Pathfinder1

I do all my own casting for myself, son and girlfriend, and cast for a few friends. The 230 gr lrn is best for us. With lead, I like to go heavy to keep the velocity down to still make power factor. In 38, I run a 195 lrn that makes USPSA/IPDA/ICORE minor with NO recoil and no leading. Good luck.

http://shop.snscasting.com/45-ACP-230-Gr-RN-45-230RN.htm;jsessionid=79BA52D9752722AE38F711E085F551AF.qscstrfrnt04

About 90$/1000 shipped

This bullet has won a few Cowboy action shooting world championships in the wild bunch class, which is shot with a 1911 style pistol. IMO, 230RN bullets are the way to go for .45 .. 4.3 gr WST makes about 170PF out of my nowlin barreled Springfield 1911 and is fairly clean. I heard N310 is awesome with 230LRN bullets as well.

I checked out Black Bullets and SNS. Both good choices. I also found online Billy Bullets 230 LRN (Moly Coated) for $94 but I'm not sure about shipping. I know that's $ mission creep, but I've been doing some reading and Moly coated are supposed to be pretty clean shooting barrel wise. Ultimately (after this first order/batch and talking to you guys) I'm probably going to shoot 200 or 230 lead because of the cost factor. I'd like to hear from anyone with experience on shooting Moly coated lead vs pure lead, in terms of crapping up the barrel and cleaning differences. Note: didn't know Cowboy shooting could be done with 1911...love to see it, interesting.

I've used a 197gr hard cast lead, flat base, from Western Nevada West Coast Bullets, now called http://xtremebullets.com/. I heard of these on the Bullseye forum years ago. The advice came from famed BE shooter and gunsmith, Ed Masaki who asked them to make the bullet with a flat, non-beveled base. He claimed that made them more accurate and I agree. I use 3.8gr - 4.2gr of Clays and they are very accurate.

I just went to their website and didn't find the 197gr SWC lead bullet listed so I called them to find out if they still make it. That bullet was special made for Ed Masaki and I got a bunch of them too when they were still called Western Nevada. I still have many boxes and they shoot great and are the most accurate lead 200gr (197gr) SWC I found. Hope they still make them.