Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clark 5.5 or 6.5 STC barrel for S&W 41

818-DVC

Is anyone using a Clark barrel for their model 41's. I wanted a bully barrel & custom comp but I don't believe Randy is making them anymore. Upon further research, I found that clarkcustomguns.com is making several different barrels, grips, mods, work, etc for both the 41 and 22/45

I'm putting together a Xmas list for the fam. Want to build a rimfire steelgun Out of my 41 & wanted a comped 5.5, bully barrel but I'm kinda thinkin to go with the 6.5 and porting it.

I don't want to hack on my factory 41, and this seems like a viable alternative. 5.5 or 6.5 comped?

Thanks

JL

the Clark barrels are good, their new one is built on a Shillen blank . I have a comp on one of my barrels - it is really just a weight for the nose. I can remove it easy . The rim fire bullets throw a bunch of trash out the end . I have to clean it out after just a few thousand rounds

I suggest you skip the comp

Thanks G-man. What about a comp? Yay or Nay? I know you and Chuck both like comps, and after reading that he uses a lot of .223 rifle muzzlebrakes, on his rimfire guns, I thought about it and can easily cut one down.

Thanks

JL

Edited by 818-DVC

Thanks G-man. What about a comp? Yay or Nay? I know you and Chuck both like comps, and after reading that he uses a lot of .223 rifle muzzlebrakes, on his rimfire guns, I thought about it and can easily cut one down.

Thanks

JL

I'm sort of mixed on the comp. I like it (mine is light Al), but it is a pain to clean....shoot 1K and it's getting pretty plugged up. I've been meaning to take mine off, just to see how much more muzzle rise I'd get, but haven't gotten around to it. For SC, I'm not sure it makes any difference, since you're not shooting multiple shots. R,

Right on! Bart, can you post some pics of your gun in the Rimfire galleries? I'm trying to find more 41's but I think it makes some people sick to see a hacked up 41. It is the ultimate sin to colt semi auto fanatics. I showed my father a pic of billy's gun and he couldn't recognize what it was. When I told him, 1st thing he asked me was if I going ruin my gun like that!

• 1 month later...

Here is what I did without hacking up my MOD 41 bullseye for use in steel plate.

Bought a 7" Mod 41 barrel had it cut to 5.5" and had the barrel fluted. Barrel is 5.5" in case I want to have it threaded for a comp. which requires a 0.5" of thread. A 7" barrel is lighter than a 5" barrel to begin with.

Had the tang on the barrel removed. It lightens the pistol & help eliminate any ejection problems. (This is what is done to a bully barrel)

Removed the standard grips & had 1911 grips installed.

Had the 1911 grips cut & installed an Aluminum magwell.

Had basepads installed on the mags.

Installed a Aimpoint COMP XD 7MOA.

If I want to shoot bullseye I replace the top end with the bullseye top end which has a Aimpoint Comp XD 7MOA already mounted. Remove the 1911 grips and magwell and install the bullseye grips. Mags function without removing the basepads.

I was on the list to buy a comped bully barrel but when I saw the $550.00 pice I cancelled.

I had the above done for $500.00 & it included the Aimpoint Comp XD 7MOA Scope.

End result is a MOD 41 that is not hacked up and serves two purposes. To me it was a worthwhile investment. Note: Shoot the same ammo for both bullseye & steel plate...CCI 40gr. standard velocity lead round nose. Because I use lead that is why I have not installed a comp.

Here is what I did without hacking up my MOD 41 bullseye for use in steel plate.

Bought a 7" Mod 41 barrel had it cut to 5.5" and had the barrel fluted. Barrel is 5.5" in case I want to have it threaded for a comp. which requires a 0.5" of thread. A 7" barrel is lighter than a 5" barrel to begin with.

Had the tang on the barrel removed. It lightens the pistol & help eliminate any ejection problems. (This is what is done to a bully barrel)

Removed the standard grips & had 1911 grips installed.

Had the 1911 grips cut & installed an Aluminum magwell.

Had basepads installed on the mags.

Installed a Aimpoint COMP XD 7MOA.

If I want to shoot bullseye I replace the top end with the bullseye top end which has a Aimpoint Comp XD 7MOA already mounted. Remove the 1911 grips and magwell and install the bullseye grips. Mags function without removing the basepads.

I was on the list to buy a comped bully barrel but when I saw the $550.00 pice I cancelled.

I had the above done for $500.00 & it included the Aimpoint Comp XD 7MOA Scope.

End result is a MOD 41 that is not hacked up and serves two purposes. To me it was a worthwhile investment. Note: Shoot the same ammo for both bullseye & steel plate...CCI 40gr. standard velocity lead round nose. Because I use lead that is why I have not installed a comp.

Sounds like a nice setup! What basepads did they use, and who's magwell was it?

Edit to add: Post pics here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83756&view=findpost&p=967238

Edited by G-ManBart

G-Man Bart:

Custom alum. magwell by the Handgunner in Topton, PA. (has them in stock). Take a std. 2 hole screw-on basepad and reshape it to fit the mag and fit the magwell so that the mag seats. I'll post a pic here after the New Year.

G-Man Bart:

Custom alum. magwell by the Handgunner in Topton, PA. (has them in stock). Take a std. 2 hole screw-on basepad and reshape it to fit the mag and fit the magwell so that the mag seats. I'll post a pic here after the New Year.

Cool...thanks. Look forward to the pics!