Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para P16 Mag tuning

ak47traxx

What length springs do you use in 140mm mags with +3 extensions?

When I was ordering my replacement springs for my Para mags I could get the "Para Ordnance HiCap 10 Round Magazine Replacement Spring, Short", (I know, HiCap 10 round????) or the "Para Ordnance HiCap Magazine Replacement Spring, Long". I guess this means 11 coils and 13 coils. I ordered the 13 coil and went from a reloadable 20 round mag to a 19 round sometimes reloadable mag.

I took one of the mags and cut the spring to 10 coils. I could still only get 19 rounds in the mag until I "modified" the new follower by breaking part of the back off by accident. Now I have a reloadable 21 round mag.

So I was just wondering what everyone else was running. Do you start with a 13 coil or 11 coil spring, then adjust to the mag?

I have used Factory Para 13 coil springs and ISMI 140mm 13coil springs with great results. It soundsa like your follower is hitting the base pad at 19 rounds and will not let you load any more. You need a flat back follower,some Para mags come with them,Dawson sells enhanced followers for Paras also. Or you can modify your current followers until you get the capacity you want.

The followers I got from Dawson do not have a flat back on them. The one I broke sorta does now. :)

The Dawson and Arredondo are the only followers I can find. Grams doesn't list any available, and bolen doesn't offer any for para that I can find. Anyone know of any other followers for Para?

I haven't tried this mag with the broke/fixed follower in the gun to see if it runs yet. So I may be ordering some more followers again.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm using my Para P16-40 for standard class.

I've been trying to tune my P16-40 magazine to achieve a higher round count and had recently searched here and found this very informative thread.

A bit new to the game, and wanting to get some clarity on how I can achieve the same results of increasing magazine capacity.

My current set up, which achieves 17 rounds only runs on a standard Para P16-40 tube with a slightly wider base pad. Im not sure what the brand of the base pad is but its length is equal to the thickness of 4 standard thin Para OEM basepads, which is the space where the mag spring is going into that gives me that extra round in. My follower is the standard Para followers

The magazine spring that I am using are those that I got from Brownells and to be precise it says on the packet it is a 10% Para Ord P14 mag spring. Why P14, they said it is the same one used for P16's.

Bottomline is how do I increase the capacity to its maximum potential while staying within IPSC rules.

I've read about spring coils in this thread. Not really sure how this is counted. Is one loop = one coil?

If I reduce the number of coils does it equate to one coil reduction = 1 extra round?

Is the minimum 11 coils to ensure proper magazine function?

I was also planning to purchase those Dawson mag base as they claim that it would increase capacity by 4 or 5 rounds. Does anyone know what the OAL may be for the magazine with that Dawson mag base may be? Wanting to know if it is still well within the rules.