Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Load for 9mm HELP

rweeks

I am new to the forum so please help me if i put this in the wrong section. I am looking for some load data for my steel challenge gun.I would like to use a 380 acp montana gold 95g jhp bullet but need a base line to get the bullet to go 1050-1100fps.I am currently going to try w-231 powder but dont know if this will be a good choice. Any advice would be appreciated.

I use the MG 95gr with my Steel load and my minor practice load. I use 4.8gr N320, OAL=1.104. I chrono'ed these again today and I'm getting avg of 1120 fps so around 105/106 PF and they all cycled in my M&P (with 11 lb spring) but had a few stops with my STI Open 9. I have to move up to about 5.1 and then it's 100% but it's at the same PF approximately. I shot over three hundred today and going out tomorrow for another three hundred before I try them in a match this weekend...

I haven't loaded with 231 in years so I really can't speak for it now...good luck!

Here's a good reference post, http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=116023&st=0&p=1315624&hl=+mg%20+95%20+n320&fromsearch=1entry1315624

Welcome to the forum!!

(go to Advanced Search (little gear wheel next to the magnifying glass) and type in +mg +95 and you should come up with tons of pages)

Try this...

4.7gr w 231

OAL 1.050...that is the longest you can load them in the 9mm case...trust me on this

Works great in doublestack guns, sti, etc. You may have feeding issues in a singlestack magazine gun though...

Been using this load for years....

DougC

Try this...

4.7gr w 231

OAL 1.050...that is the longest you can load them in the 9mm case...trust me on this

Works great in doublestack guns, sti, etc. You may have feeding issues in a singlestack magazine gun though...

Been using this load for years....

DougC

Hi DougC, have you tried going longer than 1.050 with the MG 95gr? I have been experimenting with it and started at 1.050 and went to .070, .090, then finally .104. I still get good pressure on the neck and shooting them off hand, I was getting about 2-3" groups at 20 yards. My SD was only 8 and my ES was 22 for a 20 round test group (going off of memory). Function perfect in my M&P and my STI (w/5.0 or more gr). Let us know about the OAL, I want to make sure I'm not missing something here.

BTW, I was mistaken about the velocities, I am averaging about 1266 fps (20 round test group) with 4.8gr N320 (for a 120 PF) and 1296 fps (20 round test group) with 5gr N320 (for a 123 PF) out of my M&P. I normally use 5.4 for Production matches but 4.8 for Steel and practice stuff.

Ok....It is the 88 Remington JHPs that can't go longer than 1.050... :wacko: ...the MG 95s can be loaded longer....everything else is the same...

Been awhile since I have loaded the 88s due to price, the MG 95s are cheaper by the case.

That is a soft load and very accurate in my guns too....

DougC