Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

the "I can shoot better than this" trap

carlosa

This year has been a big year for me in uspsa.

not only has it been my first year competing in this amazing sport, but i been able to attend an average of 4 club matches a month, and had the pleasure of shooting 3 level 3 matches (Golden Bullet, Nationals, Area 2).

one of the biggest improvements i made this year, has been the removing the "I'm a better shooter than this" thoughts that overtake my brain when things don't go my way during a stage (or entire match for that matter).

It's seem all to common, when talking to my shooting friends after a stage or after a match that when i asked how did it go?, i get the immediate look of disappointment followed by the I'm not shooting to my potential, or I'm not shooting as good as i should be, or i could be shooting better etc.

I think that not coming to terms with one current skill level can be prevent us not only from working on our weakness but most importantly can keep us from having fun.

at Nationals this year when people asked me how i did, i was proud to say that I shot well. and that the shots i missed were hard shots that i probably couldn't make at practice (the shots are missed were outside of my skill level) and so it didn't bother me. that small realization kept me from bringing any negative thoughts on to the later stages, and gave me real examples skills to work on after the match was over.

I don't know how many out there have had the same experience, but i think coming to terms with my current skill level has allowed me to spend more time in the shooting tense, and has actually improved my attitude and over all self image when shooting matches, and has humble me enough to recognize that the things i can't perform in a match are things i need to work on outside of the match :D

Edited by carlosa