Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FNH SLP Mk1 Owners?

pranavdc

Picked up my FNH SLP on Thursday, took it home and spent about 1.5 hours getting all that packing crap off, out of it. Complete tear down and slide glide/lubed everything up. Took it to the range on Christmas eve and ran 85 rounds through it. 5 different brands of reduced recoil slugs, 2 brands of reduced recoil buck, and 6 different types of #7.5 and #8 shot. Low end was 7/8 ounce 3 dram loads...ran out 9 rounds with no bobbles. I am VERY impressed with this shotgun. I've been a diehard Remington shotty fan for 22 years and just until last year, all I had ever owned. Based on what I have seen/heard/read, I think if you clean them thouroughly before you shoot them, they are good as gold. :wub:

I have to say that I've had some issues running the Wally World bulk Winchester stuff but it seems to be handling it more reliably now that I've got a few more rounds down the tube. I have some Remington stuff I picked up from a buddy that runs like a champ through it though! 3" slugs run pretty sweet too :cheers:

So you are running bulk pak on which piston, and the 3" mag on which piston?

I ran the bulk stuff with the light piston and the 3" slugs with the heavy one just because I didn't know if running them with the light piston would cause some damage. Remington "gun club" works like a champ and last time I ran the cheapy bulk stuff it actually ran pretty well with only a couple FTE.

Another option is to install a Browning Gold 12 Action spring and run the heavy piston. It will cycle everything without beating up your gun. It has the added benefit of making it much easier to cycle the gun by hand in the event of a malfunction (hopefully a rare event). On my gun at least, I could barely reach under the gun and pull the bolt back at all with my weak hand. With the light action spring I can do it pretty easily.