Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

side charger upper

RWF

I have a LAR upper. It doesn't have the normal charging handle cut at the back. Instead, it has a round hole for a threaded plug with a rubber nub on the bottom. Adjusting it tightens or loosens the upper/lower fit.

http://www.largrizzly.com/web/guest/ops-4-upper-assemblies

You can see the plug on the back of the upper in the pictures.

I have the OPS-4 Operator and it has run 100% since I got it. Would have preferred a 1/8-1/7 twist

barrel but this one does fine.

Craig

LAR offers either right or left handed charging handle. Mine is on the right and I like it

but one on the left has definate benefits also. You don't have to take your hand off the

pistol grip to charge or clear the rifle which can be faster.

Since the handle moves with the bolt, I would find it a bit distracting with my

left eye seeing that handle movement towards my face but that's just me. Maybe it wouldn't

be an issue once you get used to it.

Craig

i have a right handed Mega i think it is, do not remember. the bolt handle moving around is not a problem. i use that gun mostly supressed and from time to time get blow back on my glasses. that is why i am looking for something without the charging handle slot.

plus then i will have to make a new upper for my old upper reciever. :D

thanks

LAR also makes an ambi, with the charging handle on both sides. I called them and asked some questions. I was told that both handles just thread in and can be removed. So buying the ambi would allow right side, left side, or both.

PRI gas buster charging handle helps alot with the suppressor blowback. You could also be getting blowback from the ejection port. Most of the air exiting the receiver from a suppressed AR goes out the ejection port. It is really noticeable if you are shooting left handed. It feels like you just got a blast of air in the face from an air nozzle!

i am right hand shooter and i what have done in the past that seems to work for me is cram a cleaning patch in the charging handle just before it locks in place. this does work for me but only last about 50 rounds or so before it comes out.

i have thought about the PRI but i really like my side charging handle and would like to do away with T handle.

thanks everyone.

• 1 year later...