Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Sear Spring Adjustment

bbbean

I am comfortable doing most of my minor gunsmithing, and understand the basic function of the sear spring. However, when I have made minor adjustments to trigger pull in the past, I tend to go back and forth between too heavy and too light.

This raises the question - what's the best way to adjust the sear spring? Where do you put your thumbs and where do you try to focus the bend?

Great link! :cheers:

Yes. It's a great link. However, like every other link I've found, it doesn't address the question of "exactly HOW do you adjust the sear spring?" I understand how much, which finger, what else needs to be adjusted, how to test, and why things work the way they do. I just want a little guidance on the specific method of adjustment.

Yes. It's a great link. However, like every other link I've found, it doesn't address the question of "exactly HOW do you adjust the sear spring?" I understand how much, which finger, what else needs to be adjusted, how to test, and why things work the way they do. I just want a little guidance on the specific method of adjustment.

In that article it said to adjust the tension of the legs by bending the spring leaf above the pivot point at the MSH. So you make your bends right above the top of the MSH.

In that article it said to adjust the tension of the legs by bending the spring leaf above the pivot point at the MSH. So you make your bends right above the top of the MSH.

Mea culpa. Somehow I missed that part.

• 2 years later...