Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dry fire

treefarmer

I have heard of the firing pin spring collapsping after a lot of dry firing, But this Kid is a fanatic and Dry fires quite abit. He takes out the fp and spring to dry fire and then puts it back in before he goes to live fire. :sight:

Edited by Bubber

Dry-fire per se won't hurt, but it's my understanding that hammer-mounted firing pins are more sensitive to bending or breakage than their frame-mounted counterparts if dry-fired repeatedly without snap caps. Anything to this, Mike?

Nope.

All of my original competition revolvers had the hammer nose. I dry-fired them all rather extensively back in the day, when I had time for that sort of thing, with absolutely no sign of trouble. I have seen a couple broken hammer noses on other people's guns, but only a couple. I've seen a picture of a bent one on the internet.

I don't worry about it a bit.

Bubber - you're talking about a frame-mounted pin, right? My spring's disintegrated on me as well. The pin itself is fine, though.

I was thinking more about the pin on a hammer-mounted set-up. The pin isn't perpendicular to the primer face as it travels though it's arc, but swivels to get there at the end of it's travel. My understanding was that without something to meet the pin, it'll bang the firing pin opening, damaging it or enlarging the hole eventually.

Tom

Bubber - you're talking about a frame-mounted pin, right? My spring's disintegrated on me as well. The pin itself is fine, though.

I was thinking more about the pin on a hammer-mounted set-up. The pin isn't perpendicular to the primer face as it travels though it's arc, but swivels to get there at the end of it's travel. My understanding was that without something to meet the pin, it'll bang the firing pin opening, damaging it or enlarging the hole eventually.

Tom

Tom, Goofy me I was speaking of the frame mounted pin. I haven't heard of the firing pin bushing being harmed on either model. :blush: later rdd

Dry-fire per se won't hurt, but it's my understanding that hammer-mounted firing pins are more sensitive to bending or breakage than their frame-mounted counterparts if dry-fired repeatedly without snap caps. Anything to this, Mike?

This is helpful. I was given a 38 special S&W snubbie as a gift, but I know next to nothing about revolvers. Is this kind of revolver OK to dry fire? Is it a hammer-mounted firing pin?

you're talking about a frame-mounted pin, right? My spring's disintegrated on me as well. The pin itself is fine, though.

Dry firing without snap caps the C&S extended firing pins will wad up the firing pin spring.