Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load just the rounds needed in practice COF's

kevin c

This works especially well in arrays with a fair bit of steel, and in divisions with limited capacities, but applies to all target arrays and divisions.

Load just the # of rounds needed for each array. Your 1st mag might have 8 rounds for 4 paper, the 2nd (1st off your belt) 6 for 6 steel, etc. Any extra shots will force at least a standing reload, if not screw the pooch completely as your mags will be off the count for the arrays you'll shoot. If you want to avoid the slide lock reloads and get closer to the ideal 1 for 1 shooting of the COF, load the first mag +1.

This really brought home for me not only that shooting the points is important, but especially that you can't shoot fast enough to make up a miss. On a 25 round practice COF including two arrays of five and six steel, I cut 1.5 seconds off my average just by taking the time to hit each target with the first shot (and, for paper, the second). And it wasn't as though I was putting more than an extra shot or two out on each array. And my points were generally better, to boot.

Try it, you might like it.

Load just the # of rounds needed for each array. Your 1st mag might have 8 rounds for 4 paper, the 2nd (1st off your belt) 6 for 6 steel, etc. Any extra shots will force at least a standing reload, if not screw the pooch completely as your mags will be off the count for the arrays you'll shoot. If you want to avoid the slide lock reloads and get closer to the ideal 1 for 1 shooting of the COF, load the first mag +1.

Welcome to Singlestack Division fire-1.gif

Most stages I see, or at least the way I end up breaking them down, are 8-round arrays. A make up shot means a slide-lock reload and/or an extra reload probably standing flat-footed.

Edited by mgood

Welcome to Singlestack Division fire-1.gif

Most stages I see, or at least the way I end up breaking them down, are 8-round arrays. A make up shot means a slide-lock reload and/or an extra reload probably standing flat-footed.

been here all year! :cheers: and you are right, make-ups and misses will most definietly leave you hanging.

• 2 weeks later...