Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD Down! Help!

alpha-charlie

I've noticed the problem a little but today it became quite clear. I fire my first shot and the striker indicator is not showing and of course there is no second shot. I cycle the slide to chamber a new round and can shoot again. This process repeats and repeats. On a couple of the stages today the gun ran just fine. On two of the stages (one of them a classifier of course), for every shot I fired I had to chamber a new round. The gun is cycling fine, it just seems as though the striker is not resetting, my PF is 130, 16lb recoil spring out of an XD9 Tactical.

Edited by alpha-charlie

Couple things to look at... first thing I would do is throw the stock recoil spring back in it and run a box of factory ammo through it. It that works, try a lighter recoil spring with you reloads - I run a #15 spring in my 9mm tac shooting 147's at 130 pf. If thats not it, check your fire control springs as mentioned above... wouldnt hurt to do a tear down and nice clean. Hope you get it running.

I'm not a gunsmith but the same thing happened to me this weekend at a match with my XD-M. The symptoms I noticed while actually shooting the match were identical, but when I shot it at the range and could notice more of what was happening, I noticed that the sticker was resetting but my reloads with the bullet I was using were too long and the round was preventing the slide from completely chambering the rounds. Because the slide wasn't all the way forward, the striker looked like it wasn't reset and the gun wouldn't fire. When I racked the slide, it provided just enough force to seat the round at the grooves. I went home, ran all them though the seating die to reduce the OAL by .010 and all fired without an issue today at the range. When I was at the match, everyone watching thought it looked like the sear spring as well because of the symptoms. Of course barrel checking the reloads would have prevented all this.

• 1 month later...

I recently purchased a Springfield Armory, XD 45ACP 9611 and have been initially pleased. However, last time out at the range, when i was demonstrating it to an associate, it failed to fire. USING FACTORY AMMO, 230 GRAIN, FMJ. NO MODS TO THE WEAPON COMPLETELY STOCK. I ejected the failed round, noticed no strike mark on the primer, reloaded and attempted to fire again. No joy. I then changed mags; samo-samo. i cased the weapon and took it home for a closer inspection. It did not seem overly dirty and everything else functioned on the weapon. my only observation of anything different was that the firing sequence seemed "not as snappy", or a bit sluggish. I called SA, and they said to check the striker for excess lube because it could be causing a 'hydraulic' which would slow the strike. I observed visible liquid on the striker. I then wiped the striker with a cloth, and reassembled. took it to the range and it fired. I HAVE NOT DONE MY USUAL TORTURE TEST OF 50 RDS, AS FAST AS I CAN SHOOT 'EM. Now, here's my dilemma; I don't lube my gun. How did it get there? Has anyone else had this happen?