Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

pressure data for loads

bigbrowndog

does anyone know if there is a source to get pressure data for your own loads???? I'm playing with a large caliber on a modern platform and all the available load data is for low pressure loads. So basically i'm treading into uncharted waters!!!!!! kind of like modern 45-70 loads in a marlin when all the available data is for trap door crap.

trapr

does anyone know if there is a source to get pressure data for your own loads???? I'm playing with a large caliber on a modern platform and all the available load data is for low pressure loads. So basically i'm treading into uncharted waters!!!!!! kind of like modern 45-70 loads in a marlin when all the available data is for trap door crap.

trapr

Trapr, Is it a wildcat? How about calling Sierra? Ohler used to make a unit that was for handloaders, the model 43. It was a pressure testing unit. It's no longer in production though.

The 43 (if you can find one) had a transducer you epoxy to the chamber area of the barrel. In so many words, you may have to have a second donor gun/barrel combo to cut up to get at the chamber/barrel area to attach the transducer. The 43 works.

The gun is known to work with 50k pressure, i would prefer to not push it to the limit. All the available data I've seen only goes to 26k. i want to make sure my loads are below 40k, just for peace of mind.

its a 45-90.

Dan, i though about calling Sierra, I have a good friend that works there, but wanted to know if anyone knew of another avenue first.

trapr

The gun is known to work with 50k pressure, i would prefer to not push it to the limit. All the available data I've seen only goes to 26k. i want to make sure my loads are below 40k, just for peace of mind.

its a 45-90.

Dan, i though about calling Sierra, I have a good friend that works there, but wanted to know if anyone knew of another avenue first.

trapr

Other than Round Gun Shooters links, Sierra will probably a safe bet. Or, you go real old school, and take new brass, a standard load, and a micrometer.... Measure the brass just in front of the rim, when it starts to grow over the known load, slow down the incriments. Don't ask me when to stop. I've done some hairy experiments a time or two. :goof: