Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FMJ vs JHP accuracy

RH45

When I first started shooting USPSA/IDPA, I was using SWC and found that reliability wasn't 100% so I went to FMJ and never looked back---until now.

My "go to" bullet when I could get them has been a Zero, 230 grain FMJ and they will usually shoot inch groups at 25 yards, but, in all the other calibers I shoot, I've found that they shoot JHPs a lot more accurate than FMJs, and have been thinking of trying some in .45 too.

Have any of you shot, and compared both for accuracy?

I've been loading the FMJs to about 1.25". Are you running the JHPs shorter??

THANKS!!

Try some Zero 230 JHPs at around 1.220-1.230 and see how they shoot. Make sure they chamber reliably first, but it should be between 1.220 and 1.240 for best results.

The JHPs almost always shoot better than than FMJ, but lead usually will shoot as well as FMJ or a little bit better, in my experience in the .45.

DougC

Try some Zero 230 JHPs at around 1.220-1.230 and see how they shoot. Make sure they chamber reliably first, but it should be between 1.220 and 1.240 for best results.

The JHPs almost always shoot better than than FMJ, but lead usually will shoot as well as FMJ or a little bit better, in my experience in the .45.

DougC

Thanks Doug!!