Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

230 MG CMJ and N320.....springfield 1911 5"

Artsville

Gonna start loading my 45s for the first time. I have done quite a bit of homework. I am at a disadvantage as i have no chronograph for really checking my loads. It's coming though....i can't spend all my money at once....

I was looking at the VV site and starting load is 4.9gr, but i read a lot of threads stating the velocity was a bit high and they backed it down to 4.6 or 4.7gr. I am planning on an OAL of 1.25-1.26.

I have a standard 5" SA 1911....i was wondering if anyone could give me an estimate of velocity out of their SA barrels? I also was curious about when people post loads. If they have made changes to the springs is it expected that they state that in their load data? I am looking for 170ish pf with standard spring setup..it is stock.

thnx for all your assistance....

art

320 is a good powder, I have chronoed a few loads and 4.6 is a good place to start, you should be close to the power factor of 170, but you will need a chrono eventually to refine your load, you dont have to buy maybe you can borrow one.

As far as springs, that load should function your gun with the stock factory springs ok (16-17 lbs are common).

Velocity from SA barrels I do not know, but I can tell you from a thread on the forum last week , that 2 barrels from the same manufacturer can vary 40-70 fps with the same exact load, again you would not know until you chrono.

But start at 4.6 it is always better to load low and slow and work your loads up....

Edited by fastarget

Spring weights shouldn't have anything to do with your PF. Like Fasttarget said, no two barrels are the same, so what may be 171PF for one guy might be 165PF or 178PF for the next guy with an identical gun. There is no way to know your velocity until you chrono, so this thread is kind of pointless until you get one, or can borrow one.

Spring weights shouldn't have anything to do with your PF. Like Fasttarget said, no two barrels are the same, so what may be 171PF for one guy might be 165PF or 178PF for the next guy with an identical gun. There is no way to know your velocity until you chrono, so this thread is kind of pointless until you get one, or can borrow one.

yes this is true, but it does have something to do with the gun actually cycling correctly. Doesn't it?

art

yes this is true, but it does have something to do with the gun actually cycling correctly. Doesn't it?

art

Art,

You are correct, the load you working on should cycle your gun well with a 16 or 17 stock spring. Keep in mind that the factory tries to have a reasonable spring that can cycle a variety of loads, it will work, especially after your gun is broken-in. I had a conversation with Nighthawk's rep , who said after their guns are broken in the 17lb springs their guns leave the factory with cycle their 200lswc loads. Kimber uses 16lb springs in their guns, and cycles a load similar to yours all the time.