Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minor load for 2011?

Pro2AInPA

Well here's the deal. I'm shooting a steel match next weekend and the max PF allowed is 150.

I have a major load for my 2011 which is a 180gr plated bullet at 1.185" with 4.6gr of Titegroup.

Can you guys give me a ballpark number for a sub 150PF load using the same bullet, powder, and OAL?

Maybe 4.0gr? The rub is that I won't have any time to get to the range to chrono or function test the load before the match. :wacko:

My minor PF load for my Glock was 3.7gr of Titegroup, but that was at 1.130"

Edited by Pro2AInPA

I haven't tried that combo, but before I finished reading your post, I was already thinking 4.0gr. I'd be more worried about zero issues than PF...150 PF isn't going to sound much different from 165-70PF, so unless they check people's ammo, I wouldn't worry. R,

I haven't tried that combo, but before I finished reading your post, I was already thinking 4.0gr. I'd be more worried about zero issues than PF...150 PF isn't going to sound much different from 165-70PF, so unless they check people's ammo, I wouldn't worry. R,

Their concern is that major PF will damage the steel.

I don't see how even at major velocity a plated bullet would damage quality steel, but rules is rules.

I'll load up a bunch at 4.0gr and hope that they work. :o

Edited by Pro2AInPA

Not exactly what you asked for but what I have done for years switching between IDPA, outlaw steel and Uspsa major.

Develop your USPSA major 40 load with the almost universal 180gr bullet., buy the same manufacturers 155 grain bullet of the same profile. Make no other changes or adjustments to your press or load, You'll come up with a 145 ish powerfactor load that will function and feed.

Not exactly what you asked for but what I have done for years switching between IDPA, outlaw steel and Uspsa major.

Develop your USPSA major 40 load with the almost universal 180gr bullet., buy the same manufacturers 155 grain bullet of the same profile. Make no other changes or adjustments to your press or load, You'll come up with a 145 ish powerfactor load that will function and feed.

That's certainly a thought for the future, although I don't foresee needing a minor load for this gun very often and I already have a bunch of 180gr bullets on hand.

Their concern is that major PF will damage the steel.

I don't see how even at major velocity a plated bullet would damage quality steel, but rules is rules.

I'll load up a bunch at 4.0gr and hope that they work. :o

Yeah, I figured that was their concern...that goes in the "whatever" category.

If you can fire even a round or two before the match, I'd try to. The slower loads will likely print a bit higher than your Major loads (yeah, it's counter-intuitive). R,

When you do shoot this weekend, can you report back and tell us how it worked out? Thanks...

Sure will. Gonna run 4.0gr of Titegroup and hope it's sub 150PF if there's a chrono at the match. :blush:

Although, I do have some of my 3.7gr at 1.130" rounds on hand that I know are sub 150. And I put a couple hundred of those through the 2011 with no issues, so I suppose that's an option too.

When you do shoot this weekend, can you report back and tell us how it worked out? Thanks...

Sure will. Gonna run 4.0gr of Titegroup and hope it's sub 150PF if there's a chrono at the match. :blush:

Although, I do have some of my 3.7gr at 1.130" rounds on hand that I know are sub 150. And I put a couple hundred of those through the 2011 with no issues, so I suppose that's an option too.

Please report back if you get chrono'd! I'm sure there's a lot of people interested in what that load would make!

Edited by BoldasLions